Atmos speakers as (far) rear wall mounted surrounds?

zgbee

Novice Member
Hi,

I'm moving soon, and my new floorplan puts me in a position where the couch/listening area will be almost equidistant (~3m/10ft) from the front and rear walls of the room, with no side walls near the listening area either. The rear wall conveniently already has speaker wire run from behind the amp's location.

I know that far behind the listening area is not ideal for the only set of surround speakers, but it's the only option at the moment (as I won't have speaker stands in the middle of the room to either side of the couch). My question is - will some wall-mounted Atmos speakers with their angled baffle (which at ~20° does a decent job of hitting ear-hight at the couch) do a good job as rear surrounds? Or will I be significantly better off buying some small bookshelf speakers and getting wall mounts?

My current mains are some home-built MTM's, and I'll be using Audyssey MultEQ XT32 for room correction.

The Canton AR 4/8/800 are my frontrunner right now as an Atmos-style speaker. I'm also considering the Dali Alteco C-1 and Monitor Audio Silver AMS 7G.

If I went bookshelf-style, I've got a few front runners from Canton, ELAC, Dali and Piega (their AP 1.2 being attractive as the wall-mount bracket is built-in)

thanks for any input

Last edited:

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

If you can post a diagram of the room it could help in members giving you advice.

As far as the angled dedicated speakers are concerned then some of their small enclosures could prove somewhat inadequate given the distance and you may very well be better off using a bigger standmount speaker correctly angled. Putting one on a bracket that has good movement will be easier to experiment with.

As for the actual distance then the AVR's room calibration system will compensate for that and give you the correct volume at the main listening position.

Your surrounds though should still be at, or just above, a seated head height. You do not want both surrounds and those Atmos speakers on anywhere near the same level as good separation between the base level and the Atmos domain somewhat essential.

zgbee

Novice Member
Thanks for the welcome! I've been a long-time lurker (and was surprised I didn't have an account yet!)

This is a rough not-quite-to-scale sketch of the room.

I'm not planning to have both Atmos and surround speakers in the rear - I'm more curious if Atmos speakers would serve the purpose of a rear surround if wall-mounted, or if they'd be too small to do a good job with the distance they'll be from the listening area
room layout sketch.png

gibbsy

Right with your now. Like I said some of those speakers have quite small cabinets so look for ones that have a bigger cabinet. A lot of manufacturers are now producing these shaped speakers that can be wall mounted and they will easily double up as surrounds and they just have to be configured as surrounds on your Denon or Marantz amp. Try and work out the angle before you decide on the actual height you put them.

The other alternative is to use normal speakers and a bracket that can be angled downwards.

I have KEF R100s mounted on the wall but not at that height using BTech brackets.

Amazon product

Last edited:

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
These have built in screw holes and own bracket, these are my Atmos heights.

Attachments

• IMG_20220627_103614962~2.jpg
    IMG_20220627_103614962~2.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 22

zgbee

Novice Member
Ah, thanks for the suggestion @rccarguy2 - didn't realize Q Acoustics had their own wall-mount bracket. That's definitely an option to consider now.

Htfanboy

What are you willing to do in terms of placement etc? That existing location isn't suitable for base layer surrounds.

Maybe suitable for rear Dolby atmos height speakers if the angles are suitable.

gibbsy

What are you willing to do in terms of placement etc? That existing location isn't suitable for base layer surrounds.

Maybe suitable for rear Dolby atmos height speakers if the angles are suitable.

The OP isn't looking for an Atmos layout but using angled speakers as surrounds. Like other threads you've posted this video on people don't tend to live in room that is capable of hosting the perfect home cinema.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom