Atmos speakers, are the Monitor Audio Bronze AMS worth it with the Bronze Gen 5 series?

cause_of_chaos

Standard Member
Hi all, hope you're keeping well.

I own a Pioneer VSX-932 AV Receiver with the Monitor Audio Bronze series of speakers in 5.1 configuration (MA Bronze 6, MA Bronze 2 and MA Bronze Centre). I also have a BK XLS200 Sub.

Looking to buy a pair of Atmos speakers, and have the MA Bronze AMS in my crosshairs. Are these tonally similar since they're a generation later? Or are there other, better Atmos speakers I should be considering?

Thanks in advance,
cause_of_chaos

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi all, hope you're keeping well.

I own a Pioneer VSX-932 AV Receiver with the Monitor Audio Bronze series of speakers in 5.1 configuration (MA Bronze 6, MA Bronze 2 and MA Bronze Centre). I also have a BK XLS200 Sub.

Looking to buy a pair of Atmos speakers, and have the MA Bronze AMS in my crosshairs. Are these tonally similar since they're a generation later? Or are there other, better Atmos speakers I should be considering?

Thanks in advance,
cause_of_chaos

I don´t believe you need to panic much with the "tonality" of atmos speakers. If you look even high end cinemas rarely use matching brand overhead channels. But there is nothing wrong to stick with same brand if the size/finish is also close to your Bronze range which is the earlier gen. Keep in mind that the effectiviness of upfiring depends many things; speaker to listener distance as there is sweet spot somewhere so you might need to bring couch/seat closer if you sit 4-5m away, you might need to angle (rear part) the uprifing speakers in some cases and of course the ceiling should meet Dolbys recommendations or i would just forget it.

For optimal performance, the ceiling should be flat (not angled or vaulted), with a height between 7.5 and 14 feet (2.3 to 4.3 meters), and made of an acoustically reflective material (drywall, plaster, hardwood, or another rigid, non---sound-absorbing material).

What most members here has found is that placing the speakers high up on front wall below ceiling often gives better effect over upfiring bouncers. But is this option for you i don`t know. Bronze AMS has keyholes at rear so they can be easily mounted like that.

ma-bze-ams-blk_l_5-medium.jpg

Another option is the Dali Alteco C-1 mounted same way. See my post here #5 scroll it down bit and you see how the Altecos would be placed. Then you could buy some wire trunking from Amazon to hide the wires.

cause_of_chaos

Standard Member
Hi @Gasp3621, that's awesome thanks! My ceiling should be within Atmos spec, but there is the opportunity to wall mount them if necessary (if I can convince the missus :)).

I have the Black Oak MA speakers so either the MA AMS in Black or the Dali should be a good fit!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi @Gasp3621, that's awesome thanks! My ceiling should be within Atmos spec, but there is the opportunity to wall mount them if necessary (if I can convince the missus :)).

I have the Black Oak MA speakers so either the MA AMS in Black or the Dali should be a good fit!

There is that if you were to wall mount the white would look much better if you have white walls, better blending.. However they would look silly on top of black speakers so..

cause_of_chaos

Standard Member
The walls are an awkward light grey, but considering everything else in the room is black, I'm sure black speakers will fit right in!
Will look at the angle I need to place them to effectively reach the sofa tonight :)

Oswald

I'd be interested in hearing what you went for in the end, and your experiences.
(I've got my eye on the Bronze AMS... I just need to get an Atos-compatible receiver first!)

cause_of_chaos

Standard Member
I'd be interested in hearing what you went for in the end, and your experiences.
(I've got my eye on the Bronze AMS... I just need to get an Atos-compatible receiver first!)
Not purchased the Dali's yet but I'll be going for them for sure.
My wireless rear speaker solution has failed so sorting that out first (rear left started crackling, re-soldering all of the joints on the rear speaker amp didn't resolve it).
Just waiting for a new amp!

cause_of_chaos

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom