Atmos speakers and acoustic screens

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by megson, Jun 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I hope this isn't a daft question but can you have upward firing Atmos speakers firing from behind an acoustic screen and if so, does firing through the screen material compromise the sound/effect?

I have a small dedicated room and although I understand that ceiling speakers probably work best, I would like to weigh up my options so to speak.

Kind regards
    Megson

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,105
    I think that AT are designed so that the speaker is facing towards the material, with Atmos speakers the sound would be glancing at the screen at an angle, so I suspect that it wouldn't work very well.

Some owners have used forward facing front height speakers in an Atmos set up @richmagnus being one I can think of and he seems to think it works very well. Probably easier to get the wires to them behind your AT screen as well of you tried that method?

3. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Thanks for your reply Kelvin. You've confirmed pretty much what I suspected. I can try forward facing front height speakers and it would be fairly easy to wire for those. I heard front height mk150's at the last Gecko forum meet and thought they sounded impressive.

Regards
    Megson