Atmos speaker positioning help please

Streamer73

So my friend has purchased a pair of Dali Alteco C-1 speakers to add some Atmos action to his existing 5.1 B&W system. Looking for some advice on where best to place the Dalis if possible so if anyone can give any advice that would be greatly appreciated - based on the pictures below, is the best option 5.1.2 or 7.1? Any ideas on the best speaker placement in this situation?
PC TV Facing Sofa.jpg
PC Lounge Left Wall.jpg
PC Lounge Right Wall.jpg
PC TV Face on.jpg

Last edited:

gibbsy

The Dalis can be used in either of two ways. The first is in the upfiring position but as this would involve placing them on top of or as near as possible to the front left and right that looks as though it's not a good option.

The second option, which is much favoured, is to mount them high on the wall. Again the front wall doesn't look suitable as they will be close to the walls either side. I suggest that you place them on the side wall opposite the MLP. There is also the possibility of mounting them above the arch. Both would be configured as rear height.

What AV amp is going to be used?

Streamer73

Thanks Gibbsy - they'll be hanging off a Denon X4200. My idea was inboard of the rear surrounds on the back wall (mostly for aesthetics TBH), would having them on the side wall give a more immersive effect than on the rears do you think?

gibbsy

Six of one half a dozen of the other really. It what works best for you as positioning goes. Some members do report having good effects with the speakers on a side wall. The 4200 would give you the option of using top middle as a position for the side placement and rears for the position on the arch. Sometimes it boils down to how easy any one of the position would be to wire up.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom