Atmos speaker placement/av setup

Fergalno1

I have a 5.1.4 setup with a Denon X3600h and I’m going to be changing it to a 5.1.2 because i think it will be a better configuration in my room which has the sofa against the rear wall with no option to move it forward.

I currently have some Monitor Audio CP-CT380 in ceiling speakers installed near the rear wall above the sofa that I now would like to use as the top middle in the 5.1.2 and looking at the Dolby recommendation they state a angle of 60-100 degrees from the MLP is fine.
My CP-CT380’s are within those tolerances although set at around the 100 degree mark.

What would be the best option going forward, should I leave them where they are installed and change the AVR setting to top middle or reinstall them more to the 60 degree angle kind of above the knees when seated? Obviously there’s a bit of work cutting and filling the ceiling but I am after the best positioning possible.

Room is 3.3m x 5m and is set out with the tv on the 5m wall.

Attachments

• E9E80A3E-F71B-4BC4-985F-DEBA3D72F46A.jpeg
    E9E80A3E-F71B-4BC4-985F-DEBA3D72F46A.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 90
  • C3153910-9968-4BFF-88A4-E9A00D875F1B.jpeg
    C3153910-9968-4BFF-88A4-E9A00D875F1B.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 89

Jase

Distinguished Member
I'd try the Top Middle setting as that's just a simple setting change in the AVR (although you'll need to re-run Audyssey).

If that sounds ok, leave it be. If you're not happy with the results then repositioning the speakers is your next option.

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
They are rather far back for top middle assignment. They are more top-rear.

I guess removing and re-installing is a big faff (and you'll need a good patch plasterer!) but having them slightly forward of the seating position is where you want to be ideally.

gibbsy

They are really too far back for a 5.1.2. Rough rule of thumb would be to have the speakers in the ceiling above where your knees would be when seated at the main listening position. The assignment would then be TML/R.

You can try the TML/R assignment and see how that works for you. At this moment you have nothing to lose by experimenting.

Fergalno1

They are rather far back for top middle assignment. They are more top-rear.

I guess removing and re-installing is a big faff (and you'll need a good patch plasterer!) but having them slightly forward of the seating position is where you want to be ideally.

They are really too far back for a 5.1.2. Rough rule of thumb would be to have the speakers in the ceiling above where your knees would be when seated at the main listening position. The assignment would then be TML/R.

You can try the TML/R assignment and see how that works for you. At this moment you have nothing to lose by experimenting.

I bit the bullet today and moved the speakers to the ideal location, I am decorating the living room next week so it wasn’t to big of a problem to do I just need to make to ceiling smooth again.
I need to rerun audyssey which I’ll do this afternoon sometime then watch a movie and enjoy.

Attachments

• 0BCA85F2-65C5-4BBB-AD50-461B0235F321.jpeg
    0BCA85F2-65C5-4BBB-AD50-461B0235F321.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 75

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
Awesome work! Well done - this will sound 100% better :)

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom