Question Atmos speaker layout/setup help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by azurisk, Jul 21, 2018.

1. azurisk

azurisk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dear forum members,

I’m looking into the possibility to use a Dolby Atmos setup. The thing is my couch is against the wall and my room is oddly shaped. I am not sure of atmos is possible and if it is how to place the speakers either in a 5.1.2 or a 5.1.4 setup. At the moment I use a pair of Focal 816v and a cc800v as front stage, as rear speakers I have a pair of Focal 706v speakers. For amplification I use a modified Marantz SR7012. I was looking into Focal dome speakers as speakers for atmos use. I included rough layout of my speakers and the room. If more information is needed please ask amd I will try to provide the answers. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. razy60

razy60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +322
    Ideally atmos speakers are in the ceiling, but as with most things it's not an option, having them upfiring and bouncing off the ceiling works well, position them just above either of the front or rear speakers or both if you want. Room shape shouldn't make difference as long as they are set up properly, I.e angle ect.

3. azurisk

azurisk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am not looking to use upfiring speakers. I can mount the focal dome speakers on the ceiling. Question is which layout would be best?

4. azurisk

azurisk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Noone able to help? I was thinking maybe top middle and front height? Would that work? I am just looking for the optimal setup.

5. awentford

awentford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    You'll want to make sure the surrounds are ear height or as close as possible.

In terms of using 2 or 4 atmos speakers, you'll need to check if your amp can play 9 speakers then also check the ceiling to see what you can accommodate as there may be joists etc. in the way. Assuming everything is ok then I think it'll depend on how far you are seated from the screen as to whether you should use 2 or 4 speakers.

Here is a good guide to help you plan it. Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 Speaker Setup

Perhaps see if you can temporarily set up some speakers to see how it sounds before you run cables and cut holes.

6. azurisk

azurisk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    All the speakers in the 5.1 set are at ear height. I live in an apartment building so only option is to attach speakers to the ceiling. But I want to decide on a setup before drilling into the concrete.
    I sit about 10 feet from the tv and projection screen.
    I have read the Dolby whitepapers but they do not offer any help on a setup where the couch is flush against the wall. Hopefully someone can chime in who has been in similar situation and can share their solution.