Question Atmos speaker choice.

meagabyte

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Morning chaps. Another Atmos question.
Im looking at going for the upfireing variety of speaker as in ceiling is currently not an option.
My current setup consists of the KEF R700 and R200 front stage. The logical step would be to get my hands on a pair of the R50's however these do not have mounting brackets. The Q50s do however and it looks like the new R8a will have as well. However, all three only allow me to either place speaker on top of existing floor standers or wall mount. Neither give me the option to ceiling mount if need be.
I then looked at the SVS Prime elevations but they look massive and if on the ceiling would stick out like a sore thumb.
Are there any other options that would allow me to ceiling mount a speaker that is angled to point at the MLP?

Okay so it looks like R50s are out due to no mounting bracket.
Ceiling mounting a non-in ceiling speaker is out.
The new R8a is out as im not paying 800 pounds for an atmos speaker.
The SVS and Onkyo atmos speakers are ugly or Massive.
This leaves the KEF Q50. So the question how well would the Q50 integrate into a KEF R environment? I assume atmos speakers dont have to work as hard as others or the integration isnt as important as the front 3.

I use R50s sat on top of my R300s. I'm more than happy in how they perform, especially using the DSUs of my Denon X6200. They really give great height to the front sound stage and the transition of sound from the fronts to the rears is really smooth, no dips. The same attributes, I would imagine, would also go for the Q50a and the newer version of the R50s but they would also give you the option to wall mount at height.

The R50s really do look neat on top of the 300s, mine are shown below.
165315424.7JqH7i6z.jpg

I have thought about the R50s but my ceiling isnt ideal for this as its been wallpapered. We also sit closer to the TV than i would like so i dont think the angle would work. Hence wanting to wall mount where wall meets ceiling. The new R8s are right out. they cost nearly as much as my R700s lol

so to throw another spanner in the works, do i forgo the wall mounted Q50a and try the CA Minx12 in an over head position as these are small enough to ceiling mount.
Just wonder how much better they would be (due to size) vs the bigger and 4 x more expensive Q50s if at all :(

Okay so upfireing or in ceiling seem to be the way to go after reading 50 odd pages of threads :(
anyone wanna lend me a pair of R50s :D

With your ceiling being wallpapered then the upfiring solution is scuppered. You could try standard speakers placed as high as possible and angled to fire directly at the MLP. The CA Minx has proved a popular solution for this or even fitting directly to the ceiling because of their light weight.

Hmm I fear you are correct. Having a look at the Minx they would stick out like the bottom end of a joist. I think the best corse of action would be to forget the atmos idea for now and wait 12 months till I’m in our new place. Then see how feasible in ceiling speakers would be.

I did actually look at these. But they are basically the same as the KEF R50 or Q50. And Im not sure if putting front highs in will give me that atmos feeling lol

I did actually look at these. But they are basically the same as the KEF R50 or Q50. And Im not sure if putting front highs in will give me that atmos feeling lol
These have been designed as alternatives to in ceiling speakers if they aren't an option. They have a switch on the speaker that changes between upfiring and downfiring options.
As the sound is physically coming from above and are actual Atmos speakers, they will be far better than any upfiring speaker or any other generic speaker being used as heights

These have been designed as alternatives to in ceiling speakers if they aren't an option. They have a switch on the speaker that changes between upfiring and downfiring options.
As the sound is physically coming from above and are actual Atmos speakers, they will be far better than any upfiring speaker or any other generic speaker being used as heights
Any idea what what switch actually does? ill look into them in more detail today but i dont see much difference between them and say the KEF Q50 which is also designed as a atmos speaker that can be both up and down firing and is also wedge shaped.

The SVS Prime Elevations are great. I wondered if I - or perhaps more accurately Mrs T - would be bothered but we don’t notice them at all. Great price and the ceiling mount is excellent. Sound wise, no complaints. They get my vote but I understand if you’re wary of looks why they might be off the list.

Ive got the SVS sub so i know of the brand relatively well. but i find the Prime Elevations to stick out far to much. They actually look rather intrusive to me (which is weird as i love my speakers being the focus point of the room). But if these are going to be placed on the wall against the ceiling then i want them to lend in and not stand out lol
.SVS.jpg

So the picture shows svs, Dali and Kef.
Kef come out as the smallest cabinet from what i can find.

Any idea what what switch actually does? ill look into them in more detail today but i dont see much difference between them and say the KEF Q50 which is also designed as a atmos speaker that can be both up and down firing and is also wedge shaped.
The switch alters the direction and angle at which the sound is sent. For example, the KEFs are purely designed as upfiring speakers, they direct the sound at quite a narrow angle, then rely on reflections off the eiling to reflect the sound down towards the room at the correct angle. If these were positioned up high on the wall and used as downfiring speakers, the sound would be directed at completely the wrong angle and the sound waves would in fact reflect off of the opposite wall, again at a narrow angle, then off the opposite wall again. This would not give the atmos sound at all.
The DALIs on the other hand, by using the switch, they can direct the sound in the correct way when they are moved to height, rather downfiring speakers, using the correct angle, so the sound waves arrive direct rather than bouncing off of opposing walls.

The switch alters the direction and angle at which the sound is sent. For example, the KEFs are purely designed as upfiring speakers, they direct the sound at quite a narrow angle, then rely on reflections off the eiling to reflect the sound down towards the room at the correct angle. If these were positioned up high on the wall and used as downfiring speakers, the sound would be directed at completely the wrong angle and the sound waves would in fact reflect off of the opposite wall, again at a narrow angle, then off the opposite wall again. This would not give the atmos sound at all.
The DALIs on the other hand, by using the switch, they can direct the sound in the correct way when they are moved to height, rather downfiring speakers, using the correct angle, so the sound waves arrive direct rather than bouncing off of opposing walls.
Thanks for the info Andy, and i can see your point. but then it could just be an angle issue. I plan to look into these speakers today and see if i can find any reviews or comparisons :)

I just bought the PSB Imagine XA upfiring Dolby Atmos speakers after doing some testing at home and they really deliver. The difference with ("the bubble") or without Atmos is very clear. It is a major improvement of the surround experience. Even my wife could hear it.... :clap:

Last edited:
Just looking at the reviews now. Another contender to the KEF Q50 and the Dali Alteco's.
About the same price as the KEFs as well. Wonder if i can get a home demo with all of them.

Here in The Netherlands the PSB's are priced between Dali and Kef. Since I own B&W (683 S2/685 S2) speakers, the PSB is the best match both in sound and looks.

ah okay, they are about 100 pounds less than the Kef Q50a so thats a nice saving.
I think my past question would be position. How different is the atmos sound when placing them on-top of my floor standers vs mounted high on the wall against the ceiling?
I know many people have had great results with placing them on the fronts to fire up but im worried my ceiling isnt ideal for this.

The dalis also come in white gloss so blend in really well when placed up high n the ceiling line

Went to richer sounds yesterday for a demo to listen too the Dali Alteco-C1 these were placed on top of the floor standers in the up fireing position and did not get anything from above at all very disappointed.so my next step Is to put then up front in the ceiling down fireing.

hmm thats not good as they are still on my list.
Please let me know how you get on mounting them high up.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom