Atmos speaker advice / ideas

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by brother of bass, Jun 24, 2016.

1. brother of bass

brother of bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello there,

It has been a while since my last post forgot who I was 'again'.

Down to business, We the magnificent wee island have voted to leave the EU thank £%%%. Now a small spending frenzy on the horizon before my hard earned is worth less than a wheelbarrow of Russian Rubles.

I am in the process of considering a whole new home cinema and would much appreciate your advice regarding Atmos speakers. Firstly I should mention that I still require decent 2 channel from the same kit. For instance I have considered some Tannoy XT-8F as my main L/R channels but what should I furnish them with? The small Cambridge Audio Minx mini 22?

I have a good budget of about £4K or more to play with and are looking at 5.2.4 Atmos rather than 7.2.4 unless you experts would advise otherwise. This budget is only for speakers and sub/s only my amp/s will be another purchase of £2K or so, so in total + - £6K.

I welcome your input advice and suggestions?

2. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,320
    The one thing to remember is that you should get the front three from the same maker and model line. So quality front three is going to take a huge chunk out of your budget, even a modest KEF R500/200C will set you back £2100. If looking for a £2k receiver then the Denon X7200 is a relative bargain at this moment. But then you might want even better speakers like the R700/600C for even more money.

It's a minefield out there, but some bargains to be had. Best of luck.

3. brother of bass

brother of bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Gibbsy,

Much thanks... Funny thing about the same maker and model until recently I were crazy as it sounds considering having some KRK 3 way active monitors imagine having to add another 10-12 power sockets to my front room?...

I do like the older Kef models the Q series a bit of a bargain but rather naff finish... although with the wee Eggs it could well be a contender.

Regards M

4. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,320
    I adore the look of the bigger KEF speakers, especially in piano black. I have the budget just not the room to put floorstanders such as the R700. However, if I took the living door off it's hinges and threw it away................

Stop it, you're putting bad thoughts in my mind.:confused:

5. brother of bass

brother of bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Gibbsy,

I see from your tag that your already on the Kef's with the egg's how is your Atmos system thus far? Is it simply a case of wanting the large 2 channel up front? As I see that your sub would have it's work cut out mustering all the low end for the rest of the system?

Currently like you I have limited space a 1 bed shoe box... That may well change soon with the property market about to tank so I am being maybe somewhat optimistic. I am eyeing up diggings with the space to accommodate a reasonably good system.

I currently am considering the as mentioned Tannoys but also Proac, B&W & Monitor Audio.

It is almost that time of the week to seduce my many mistresses awaiting in the fridge Ms Peroni sexy as followed by as much infrasonic intimidation my aging Q Acoustics can muster. Forgive my childish attitude I however can not wait to blow them back to the abyss.

6. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,320
    Crossovers for the front 3 is 80, rears 100 and the Atmos 150. I could set the fronts to 60 as per audyssey but prefer 80. The REL is really good with music, the main reason for buying, neither the missus or me are deep bass fans so the REL just tends to burble along and only jumps into life with some LFE explosions.

As for the Atmos, I pleased, it certainly adds a new dimension to my listening. Until a couple of days ago I'd never heard Atmos, or heighth speakers, at all. DTS X Neural is tremendous, especially from an MA soundtrack, worth the cost of the speakers just for that. Will have to watch fully some of the Atmos films that I have, so far have only played American Sniper and the effects in that are few and far between but I was able to pick them up. So, so far I'm a happy Taffy.:thumbsup:

7. brother of bass

brother of bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Gibbsy,

Sweet if your happy & you know it have a...

I have much to look forward too .

8. RamonD

RamonD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I would seriously consider SVS Prime and a decent SVS Sub. The primes come in towers (ideal for 2 channel) Center, Bookshelves for the rear and satellites for the Atmos Heights. I have the older svs sbs-01 bookshelves and centre running 5.1 with a SVS 20/39 PC plus, IMO the best bang for buck speakers out there.

9. brother of bass

brother of bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Ramon,

Admittedly I do like SVS Subs I have to check out the other offerings. Did you have to import yours? Just considering getting stung on customs and duty.

Why SVS ever stopped making dual woofer subs! they seem very well regarded despite the age... If only BK Electronics made dual woofer subs.

Regards,

M

10. RamonD

RamonD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    there are some uk stockists, Karma AV, The Movie Rooms, I believe L sound as well. I got mine about 8 years ago from kent home cinema, they dont stock them anymore I am afraid. Im looking to go Atmos as well but mu budget is no where near as substantial as yours.. im looking second hand for some towers and maybe bookshelves, may just bite the bullet and go for prime floorstanders and centre and use the others as atmos heights.

Have a look at XTZ cinema series, they get a lot of love in the forums as well.

11. AudioVisualOnline

AudioVisualOnline
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    We sell SVS subwoofers, so there are UK suppliers you can buy direct from right now. We sold a pair of SB13 Ultras just last week with a pair of Dali Opticon speakers. Im a big fan of running dual subs myself, and running a pair has advantages over a single dual drive unit.

Regards

Dan

12. brother of bass

brother of bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Ramon,

Budget is a bitch for sure as a wise man once told me when discussing budgets "When are you going to do it? You will always feel you never have enough money". Talking of which I tend to be lucky in securing half price deals or there about's.... let's just say I can be rather persuasive.

I am in no real rush in fact I see my posts from 2013 regarding sub/s which I have not even addressed yet. For myself I'd rather acquire a good sized home to accommodate the new AV gear. In fact I am holding out on 4K as much as possible 'hard it is too' until I see the soon to be released 8K offerings, exciting times.

I of course hope that you encounter good fortune / luck enabling you too go the whole hog... me as well as I have fallen in love with McIntosh gear and can't raise the funds even if selling the wife.

Kind regards,

M.

13. brother of bass

brother of bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks AudioVisualOnline / Dan,

Dan you lucky fella! I bet you have no problem rocking up for duty Monday mornings. You may well hear form me in future once I have sorted a larger living space than my current 12x12 foot lounge.

Kind regards,

M.

14. RamonD

RamonD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I was fortunate enough to get a good deal from kent home cinema on one of their forum days. Brother of Bass you will have no shortage of base from the SVS subs lol good luck with your property search

15. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,980
    I can happily recommend M&K 950 series with IW5 or IW85's for Atmos duties complimented with a choice of M&K subs.

Please do get in touch if you would like a demo.

Regards

Rich

16. brother of bass

brother of bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Rich,

Thanks for your excellent advice.

I never really considered the M&K silly really although I am now foaming at the mouth like a rabid dog. I do believe that 'err indoors' my significant other would be pleased with the female friendly dimensions.

Kind regards,

M

17. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,980
    A pleasure.

Drop me a pm/ email if you would like some more info and or a dem.

[email protected]

Regards

Rich

18. Jag @ Epic Home Cinema

Jag @ Epic Home Cinema
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,225
    Whilst you are out demo'ing, I'd add the XTZ cinema series to your list of systems. A superb system out to come within your budget and you'll be blown away by the end result.

Jag

19. brother of bass

brother of bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Jag thanks...

You have just restored my faith in AV dealers lol Fact being I had after looked into Rich's suggestion of MK I recalled the 'Cinema Series' and spent a while looking at XTZ's offerings.

I am looking forward to being blown away as the time draws closer I am sure I will be meeting with you soon.

Kind regards,

M.

20. zoro

zoro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Any one using Klipsch modules for front height? Please post photo of set up.
    If any one installed these between from ceiling / front wall