Atmos soundbar less than 1m long?

WarHog

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations please for an Atmos soundbar that is no longer than 100cm?

I'll be getting a 55" OLED TV soon and will want to add an Atmos soundbar, but I'm restricted by the length of my TV cabinet which is 1m wide. I don't want it overhanging the edges of my cabinet or being wider than the TV. An ideal length would perhaps be 90cm. I wont be adding rear speakers as my room shape wont work well with them, though a sub would be good, maybe positioned behind the TV. No budget set yet.

I could get the 2022 Panasonic LZ2000 OLED TV with built in soundbar, but if I choose a different TV then I will definitely want a separate soundbar.

Here's my TV area and my current 55" Panny plasma..

IMG_3460.JPG

You would be struggling to create a Surround ‘envelope’ in your room (no matter what size of Soundbar you employ) and Immersive is going to be even more problematic.

Any pics/plans showing the whole room and seating layout?

Joe

Any pics/plans showing the whole room and seating layout?

Joe
I just really want something to improve on TV internal speakers. The living room is open plan with the dining area and kitchen, and the only pictures I have to hand are these, but the TV isn't clearly visible but you can see where it is...

IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_3165.JPG

I’d concentrate on finding a Soundbar with good 2.0/2.1 playback, some form of dialogue lift control is a good feature too.

Joe

Buy a avr with speakers and a sub. Say q acoustics 3010i or 3020i, bk xls 200.

Theres not really any room for front speakers either side of the TV, and nowhere to place rear speakers as the sofa is L shaped and up against the wall. I assumed a soundbar would be the best compromise?

Get rid of that huge sofa, put TV on the back wall, get a two seater,.so the fire is on your right as.you watch TV.

Get rid of that huge sofa, put TV on the back wall, get a two seater,.so the fire is on your right as.you watch TV.

Can't do that I'm afraid, sofa is new and we need all the seats.

If you're sticking with a soundbar I would lower expectations regarding the Atmos marketing hype - even in a good separates system it's only a small part of the overall experience. With a soundbar it's even more limited and often, in tricky rooms like yours, you just won't get much effect at all, if at all.

I would suggest focussing on the suggestion further above - get something with a decent frontstage that will really enhance your TV/music experience without breaking the bank or chasing unrealistic atmos effects.

The Sonos Beam Gen 2 came out at the end of last year to very good reviews - about £420 now I think. It's compact and is meant to have a great frontstage and vocal clarity as well as using psychoacoustic techniques to try to emulate a surround/atmos sound (take that with a pinch of salt but it's at least more honest than most soundbar hype). Rumours abound too that Sonos will be releasing a mini subwoofer later this year that you can add to the system to beef it up without it costing an arm and a leg:-

Thanks josefK666, I'll do some reading up on the Sonos Beam Gen 2.

The simplest solution might be to go for the new Panasonic LZ2000 OLED TV with built in soundbar, but I do quite fancy Sony's QD OLED A95K in which case I might want a separate soundbar like the Sonos Beam.

Thanks josefK666, I'll do some reading up on the Sonos Beam Gen 2.

The simplest solution might be to go for the new Panasonic LZ2000 OLED TV with built in soundbar, but I do quite fancy Sony's QD OLED A95K in which case I might want a separate soundbar like the Sonos Beam.

Just get a passive soundbar. That way you can add a AVR, or stereo amp. Have a look at the back of a cheap AVR compared to soundbar.

Attachments

• avr-x1700h_eu_2440x1560-gallery04.jpg
    avr-x1700h_eu_2440x1560-gallery04.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 37
This plus cheapest AVR, even older model

Then you can add whatever rears, subs, or change soundbar later at your leisure keeping the rest

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
TV audio technology is improving all the time of course though with the usual caveats (e.g. some have limited format coverage, weak bass etc etc). I'm sure the Panasonic will do a very good job. My Sony A80J OLED came with the much lauded 'Acoustic Surface Audio' technology using actuators behind the screen to create precise and localised sound. It was really very good. But it still wasn't as good as a cheap soundbar that I'd had hanging around since 2016 :) .......

Always best to avoid ‘integrated’ anything as it is always a compromise and adds additional possibilities for things to go wrong; plus manufacturers quickly lose interest in them and fail to keep developing the firmware which enables them.

Joe

I've just got the Denon home 550, only 26" long and really impressed so far. I considered the sonos but it doesn't have a second hdmi ( I needed one as TV isn't EARC) and can only be fine tuned using an ios device so a non starter. I also demoed the Sony gt8500 (870mm I think) but thought the sound was too boomy and dialogue a bit lost. The Denon was great in this respect, plus I can add a sub or rear speakers if I decide to later

Thanks for the recommendation Rockpoolie, I’ll do some reading up on the Denon. Would you say you notice any Atmos effects or is that a bit gimmicky?

Thanks for the recommendation Rockpoolie, I’ll do some reading up on the Denon. Would you say you notice any Atmos effects or is that a bit gimmicky?
I can't say as yet as I haven't any 4k DVDs with an Atmos soundtrack but I'm not expecting much in that respect tbh, I've got a couple with 7.1 and they sound excellent to me at least - wide soundstage and very well detailed. Not thinking I need a sub at this moment

I would put the TV and soundbar bar on the wall as you have the space. Doesn't do it any justice sitting on the proposed location on top of the cabinet.

I've just got the Denon home 550, only 26" long and really impressed so far. I considered the sonos but it doesn't have a second hdmi ( I needed one as TV isn't EARC) and can only be fine tuned using an ios device so a non starter. I also demoed the Sony gt8500 (870mm I think) but thought the sound was too boomy and dialogue a bit lost. The Denon was great in this respect, plus I can add a sub or rear speakers if I decide to later
Hi Rockpoolie, soon I'll be buying a new TV so I'm researching soundbars and noticed your message here. Just had a nosey at your model and it seems very impressive. The Mrs & me aren't into big base sounds but would like more emphasis on voice enhancement, is this something that the Denon offers with the remote or the Heos app ? Generally speaking is it producing a good sound? The option to add speakers is also something we like going forward as well. It's also pleasing on the eye which is something that can't be said for some of the 'bricks' that are out there.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom