m0t0k0

Established Member
Reaction score
Really baffled by what's out there and how to compare/work out what's best.

My current setup is an LG CX 55" paired with an old 3.0 setup (AE 109 floor standing and an AE centre)

As I have the CX which does not support DTS even passthrough (great screen but would have never have bought it if I had known it would not pass through DTS) I need a soundbar that has an HDMI input for my Nvidia Shield. On top of this, I also want eARC as sometime in the future we may moreover to using the TV as the media played and this way I can get ATMOS to the soundbar. All under the £600 mark if possible

TLDT: ATMOS soundbar with at least one HDIM input with support for DTS and eARC <£600

So far I have been looking at

Sony HT-G700 ~£300
come in under budget, seems to have some good reviews but is only 3.1 channel

LG SN9YG ~£600 (seems to be list some places for £599 but not sure if it's true)
the previous model the SL9YA got a good review on here just doesn't have eARC but this year does and as it's 5.1.2 so should be more immersive?

Samsung HW-800A ~£800
Over budget and has fewer channels than LG with 3.1.2 but seems to be well recommended.

Does anyone have any better ideas? I'm happy to buy used also so a good deal could shake things up a bit.

Thanks

Sony HT-Z9F (with the rears) if you can still get it.

i use it with my CX and shield
Unfortunately if only has ARC not eARC so we would be restricted on the sound coming form the TV if we used streaming services there (some of them seem to give a better picture so we may move over)
Also the sofa I right against the rear wall so I don't think surrounds would work very well?

Unfortunately if only has ARC not eARC

no, it has eARC.
was added in a firmware update some time ago.

you won't get proper surround sound on any soundbar without rear speakers.

no, it has eARC.
was added in a firmware update some time ago.

you won't get proper surround sound on any soundbar without rear speakers.
Thanks this really has changed things up a bit.
I will look into the HT-Z9F a bit deeper.

I know not having surrounds is not ideal.
I think it may be a reasonable trade off though.
My room has low ceilings and is not very big, the sofa is right up against the back wall too so think they would end up being bit close.

This is why I'm leaning towards a setup with upward firing speakers as the room shape should be good woth them but not surrounds

a lot of the "official" listed specs of soundbards might not mentioin eARC as a lot got it via a later fimrware update - that's why the sony website doesn't mention eARC as when it was released it didn't, but gained it later on.

Good soundbar at a good price.

Good soundbar at a good price.

You recently sold one of these?

Can you let me know what you thought of it? How was your setup was it ideal or did you have to contend with odd room size or furniture placement? Why did you sell?
If you don't mind

You recently sold one of these?

Can you let me know what you thought of it? How was your setup was it ideal or did you have to contend with odd room size or furniture placement? Why did you sell?
If you don't mind

I sold mine 2 weeks ago. The above sale link is from another member.

Its a good soundbar but I was always wanting something more out of it. So sold and bought Samsung Q950A which is easily far ahead of the LG on all fronts and ticks 95% of my boxes except deep bass (under 28 Hz).

If you have a square or rectangular room that is under 15 ft x 15 ft and these high end soundbars will definitely go a great job.

I have got the Samsung HW-Q800A paired to an LG C9 55" There was a deal going with the rear speakers included which would get you 5.1.4

I haven't this particular model but I'm also weighing up similar options and ideally would like DTS myself.

Samsung Q950T, £999 at Curry's but you can get £300 off if you add in a Samsung Frame bezel for £64, and then just return the bezel after delivery. Total should be £699 in theory.

JBL Bar 9.1 I use it with my LG CX and it’s great. Might be a little over budget but can’t recommend it highly enough.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom