Atmos Receiver with twin HDMI out?

gordonnobbs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Can anyone recommend to me the cheapest AV receiver on the market which will allow me to run a 5.1.2 Atmos set-up, and has a twin HDMI output. I have a wall mounted TV and a projector in the same room, the screen pulls down in front of the TV so only one is on at any time. I was going to go for the Denon AVRX-3300, however from reading that thread, I believe the second HDMI out doesn't mirror the primary one so it wont work for me.
Any help would be appreciated, Gordon

The Denon AVRX2300 is your best option. This has 2 outputs that are mirrored.

Thanks, should have said, only problem with that one is I also want to future proof my amp with pre-outs so I can connect a power amplifier up in future to run my two front speakers, have my eye on some high end hi-fi. I don't think the AVRX2300 can do this

You'd have to be looking at something like the Yamaha RXV781 if wanting pre outs. Neither did the AVRX3300 have pre outs.

Thanks, I downloaded the AVRX3300 manual, I thought it did have pre-outs?

Thanks, I downloaded the AVRX3300 manual, I thought it did have pre-outs?

Sorry, yes you are correct.

Would it be just the front two speakers you'd be looking to use external amplification with. Would a receiver that only had pre outs for the front 2 channels be of interest to you? If so then the Marantz SR5011 may be of interest to you. This receiver has 2 mirrored HDMI outputs plus pre outs for the front left and right audio channels.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for, will check out the Marantz

I just checked the prices and I was dissapointed to see that the Marantz would actually cost you more than the RXV781. I think that to be a big ask when you consider the receiver is basically the same receiver as the much cheaper Denon AVRX2300.

What about going back to the AVRX3300, but using an HDMI splitter connected to the main room HDMI output? This is about the cheapest option you'll get if wanting the pre outs.

Looks like my best option, is there any loss in quality for 4k signals through a splitter?

Looks like my best option, is there any loss in quality for 4k signals through a splitter?

Nope, it is digital so you get out what you put in. You'd have to pay more for the HDCP 2.2 compliance and 4K passthrough abilities though.

Another tip that may be of interest if using an HDMI switch. If the PJ isn't 4K or HDCP 2.2 compliant then power it off at the mains while not in use. Devices still transmit EDID information over HDMI while in standby so the PJ's abilities would be detected by a source and the source would then not be able to authorise UHD output because it detects a device unable to meet HDCP 2.2 compliance. Even if switched to the UHD display, the Pj would still be detected unless powered down at the mains. You'd need a splitter with inbuilt EDID management to circumvent this and they ain't cheap.

Thanks, the projector is 1080p, I've recently upgraded my TV to a 4K LG Oled so will probably go with the Denon AVRX3300 with an HDMI switch

I've been really happy with my Onkyo TX-NR656, it's got support for Dolby Atmos, 4K (HDCP 2.2) and two HDMI outputs (MAIN and SUB). You can output to either MAIN, SUB or MAIN + SUB.

Onkyo | TX-NR656

I've been really happy with my Onkyo TX-NR656, it's got support for Dolby Atmos, 4K (HDCP 2.2) and two HDMI outputs (MAIN and SUB). You can output to either MAIN, SUB or MAIN + SUB.

Onkyo | TX-NR656

But no pre outs apart from those associated with the sub and a pair for a second zone.

Denon AVR x3400h has dual-zone HDMI outputs and pre-outs for Zone 1 (LCR, Surround & Surround Back) as well as stereo pre-outs for Zone 2.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom