Atmos Question - 5.1.2 slaving the .2 to make 5.1.4 possible?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mooperman, Jul 30, 2018.

1. mooperman

mooperman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,995
    ok guys i have a 5.1.2 amp with front heights (denon x2300).

I dont really want to upgrade my amp yet (only got this in Feb).

So can i slave off the 2 front atmos speakers for 2 extra on rear atmos for a greater atmos effect. I appreciate there wont be any hand over from front atmos to rear atmos but would it work with them all firing together is my question?

thanks

Mark

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,381
    I would say no as it would put too much of a load onto the receiver. It would halve the ohm rating from 8 to 4 which in itself could trigger a safety shutdown. Not worth the risk for very little gain.

3. mooperman

mooperman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,995

i did wonder if something like this might be the case - i'll leave it i reckon and just upgrade the amp again next year.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,417
    Could you reposition the front heights to give you more of an overhead effect? Up high just in front of the MLP and angled down can work quite well with a Top Middle setting.

5. mooperman

mooperman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,995
    at the moment they are front heights above the L + R speakers (dali alteco's) and are in the wall/ceiling corner. The overhead effect im getting is pretty decent but i was just wondering if i could improve on it further with a bit of relatively easy tinkering :D

6. SonOfSJ

SonOfSJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130

The halving of the impedance would arise only of the extra speakers were connected in parallel. As it happens, I use two centre speakers in my parlour system, one immediately below, and one immediately above, the television, because I was concerned that voices seemed to be coming from below, rather then from the middle of, the television. So the second centre speaker is perched rather precariously on on old music stand behind the television. But the main point relevant to @mooperman is, I have connected the two centre speakers in series, not in parallel. I connected them in series precisely because I was concerned (as @gibbsy alludes to) about drawing too much centre channel current from the receiver. So connecting the two nominal 8 Ohm speakers in series doubles, rather than halves, the electrical resistance. I did run my Audyssey equalisation routine (with the Denon-supplied microphone and the the test tones!) after connecting the second centre speaker. This was about three years ago, with no problems since.

Just to be completely clear, by "connecting the two centre speakers in series" I made the following connections, using Richer Sounds' Cambridge Symphony 400 speaker wire:
    1. From the receiver's "centre speaker" positive terminal to the positive terminal of the first centre speaker.
    2. From the negative terminal of the first centre speaker to the positive terminal of the second centre speaker.
    3. From the negative terminal of the second centre speaker back to the receiver's "centre speaker" negative terminal.
    It was indeed relatively easy tinkering! :)

So adding extra speakers for Atmos, wired in series with the existing Atmos speakers, might work.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. mooperman

mooperman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,995
    thanks SonofSJ - thats certainly food for thought... ive got some old bookshelves i might have a play with before buying more atmos jobbies.