• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Atmos Query

cobhc2008

Established Member
Hi All,

Recently bought some Dali Zensor speakers as in my signature. Due to my room I have to sit quite close to the Surrounds and would like to do Atmos/DTS:X if possible. Would mounting a pair of Zensor Pico's high up on the side walls slightly forward of the listening position (so close to the middle of the room) give me enough of a height effect?

Thank you.

DodgeTheViper

Your proposed positioning doesn't look too bad. Where are your Surrounds ? To the side or behind you ? And how high are they ?

cobhc2008

Established Member
Very slightly behind me, and about 2ft above.

DodgeTheViper

I think you're good to give it a go. Could you do a temp fix to test its performance ?

DrHarvey12

Prominent Member
I use two pairs of Dali Fazon Satellites for Atmos / Height speakers. They work very well for me and come with their own "invisible" bracket that you wire up. The speaker then fits into the bracket and can be tilted or twisted as preferred and the connection to the bracket in turn feeds the speaker the signal. It's pretty nifty.

I bought my two sets used for less than the cost of the Pico's and BT77 stands. IMO they certainly look smarterr and more discrete than the Pico's and perform pretty similarly. They'll lose a little bass over the Pico's but I haven't felt they have been lacking in any of the films I have watched. Atmos speakers don't tend to have to do too much compared to the 5.1 or 7.1 main channels.

DALI FAZON SAT - a two-way designed satellite speaker

They also have a smaller more discrete version.

DALI FAZON MIKRO - True Hi-Fi sound in a small and elegant design

Just thought I would mention them as possibilities. I expect that the Pico's would do a great job too.

cobhc2008

Established Member
Hey, sorry I slept on this. Thanks for the comments guys, would a set of the PSB Imagine XA's give a better Atmos effect than a pair of speakers high up on the side walls?

I know upfiring speakers aren't as good as in ceiling, but I can't find anyone comparing on wall to upfiring without people speaking about front heights which I know isn't a good idea.

cobhc2008

Established Member
Bought some Elac A4's from Amazon to try.

I'm about 6ft away with a 8ft ceiling and the speakers are about 4ft from the ceiling and I'm not really getting the effect.

I've tried messing with the distance and volume levels and also angling them a little more myself and it feels like I'm getting too much of the direct sound and not the reflected sound.

Any ideas or will upfiring simply not work for me?

cobhc2008

Established Member
Anyone got anything I can try? I don't think I can mount anything on one of my side walls as the wall is pretty poor so I was hoping this would work for me.

cobhc2008

Established Member
Tried the speakers behind me as rear Atmos and all I'm hearing is the direct sound, no bounce at all.

cobhc2008

Established Member
Going to send them back this weekend. Not working for me, guess I'll have to leave Atmos alone for now.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom