Atmos Processor / Receiver as Processor

Alaric

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi There,

I've got a nice cinema set-up. Curently using a Nakamichi AVP1 for HDMI into a Yamaha Z9 which works quite nicely and the Yamaha is one of the few AV Amps that processes the 7.1 Analogue imputs so i can even use it's DSP modes and expand the sound stage to add the two front high wide pressence effects, which I like.

However in my living room I recently picked up a Denon-avr-x6200w which is a nice 9.2 Atmos amp and I really like Atmos from it.

Now i'm wondering if there is something like the Nak that i could use to get Atmos in the cinema ???
I think i've got a spare awesome Sony TA-N9000ES 5 channel amp somewhere that was one of those it's not worth the hassle of selling, so can add amplification easy enough (well carrying it up 4 flighs of stairs, but....)

Or I did think something like the Denon....Alas the Denon doesn't quite have the asignment fleixibility in it automated routine to have the main 5/7 via it's outputs and use the onboard amps for the extra 4 atmos channels (Shame, that would be killer) and just using it as a processor with 11.2 non of the onboard amps seems a massive waste.

So.....Options ???

Lee

...Curently using a Nakamichi AVP1 ...

Now i'm wondering if there is something like the Nak that i could use to get Atmos in the cinema ...

@Crocket (Ian) mentioned he may be having an Atmos processor in the future ...

Details are unknown, but this could be what you want, a simple processor with Atmos.
It is exactly what i want, the simplest Atmos processor (if it maintains the PEQ of the UMC200/Nak it would be perfect) so i can pair it with a miniDSP Dirac unit :)

Hi There,

I've got a nice cinema set-up. Curently using a Nakamichi AVP1 for HDMI into a Yamaha Z9 which works quite nicely and the Yamaha is one of the few AV Amps that processes the 7.1 Analogue imputs so i can even use it's DSP modes and expand the sound stage to add the two front high wide pressence effects, which I like.

However in my living room I recently picked up a Denon-avr-x6200w which is a nice 9.2 Atmos amp and I really like Atmos from it.

Now i'm wondering if there is something like the Nak that i could use to get Atmos in the cinema ???
I think i've got a spare awesome Sony TA-N9000ES 5 channel amp somewhere that was one of those it's not worth the hassle of selling, so can add amplification easy enough (well carrying it up 4 flighs of stairs, but....)

Or I did think something like the Denon....Alas the Denon doesn't quite have the asignment fleixibility in it automated routine to have the main 5/7 via it's outputs and use the onboard amps for the extra 4 atmos channels (Shame, that would be killer) and just using it as a processor with 11.2 non of the onboard amps seems a massive waste.

So.....Options ???

Lee

Hi Lee,

The Denon 7200 does have this amp assignment flexibility and is still the flagship Denon receiver.
It can now be had for the same price as the 6300.
Best regards
Rich@SeriouslyCinema

Neo - I've seen that....but also saw intent on it months ago. I'd say it'll be 6-12 months before an actual product is purchasable there, alas!

@SeriouslyCinema - Interesting. I've looked at the manual online and it appears to be the same "user friendly" set-up routine that the 6200 has that I own. They both have the option to be a pure processor and turn off the internal amps for audio purity, however i've not seen a "use the amps for AMTOS and have pre-outs for the 5.2/7.2" setup....they both should be able to do what I want but the software limits functionality for the sake of standard set-ups!

Neo - I've seen that....but also saw intent on it months ago. I'd say it'll be 6-12 months before an actual product is purchasable there, alas!
Yes, i agree, it could be vaporware ...

But besides the Marantz AV7702 mk1 i cant see no affordable processor with Atmos.
Even the Marantz is too expensive (~800£ refurbished) and with much more functions that needed (Audyssey, no PEQ, etc)

The future Emotiva Emersa will only be 5.1.2, and probably around 1000$ (we still dont know if it will have dirac), but will also be available by 6-12 months.

So besides the Marantz, your only options are using a receiver with pre-outs.

@Alaric

Lee. I'm using a Marantz SR7010 to power the four Height channels and my old Denon A1XV is used as a poweramp for the five main channels (so a 5.1.4 setup). If I wanted a 7.1.4 setup I could add two more speakers and either power those with the Marantz or just use the Pre Outs and let the Denon take care of things. Using the Denon would be the easiest option in this case rather than re-assigning things on the Marantz.

Is that the sort of thing you're wanting to do?

Last edited:
Jase - yes.... I've just looked through the manual and can't see a setting for that?

Or am I being dense here.... You set to 9.1/11.1, use the internal amps for the .4 and then just use the pre-outs for the 5.1 and not actually tell the amp anything about that... If so, my 6200 can do that too.... And it opens up my choice to the 7200 that serious cinema mentioned which I couldn't get my head around, them marantz equivalent and the actual preamp above that may be better, but needs extra power amps and would need another shelf in my rack!

Jase - yes.... I've just looked through the manual and can't see a setting for that?

Or am I being dense here.... You set to 9.1/11.1, use the internal amps for the .4 and then just use the pre-outs for the 5.1 and not actually tell the amp anything about that... If so, my 6200 can do that too.... And it opens up my choice to the 7200 that serious cinema mentioned which I couldn't get my head around, them marantz equivalent and the actual preamp above that may be better, but needs extra power amps and would need another shelf in my rack!

Yes, exactly that. The Pre Outs on my Marantz are always active so at the moment it's set to 9.1 - Floor Layout 5ch - Height Sp 4ch and if I wanted to add extra speakers I'd change it to 11.1 - Floor Layout 5ch & SB - Height Sp 4ch.

Fairly sure the 7200WA can also do that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom