Atmos Music help for Sony STR-DN1080

Danthecrawleyfan

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Have always browsed these forums for support but have never need to post until now.

I have recently purchased a pair of Dali Alteco C1 speakers to use as Atmos Speakers. They are up firing from my Oberon 5 Floor Standers, operating in a 5.1.2 set up. As the title suggests my receiver is a STR-DN1080 whilst my TV is a Sony 49xe9005. I have set them up successfully and have managed to get Atmos working via my PS5 (playback via blu ray drive) and via my Xbox (netflix/games) but i'm really keen to try Atmos music, either via Amazon Music or Tidal. When outputting either, from my Samsung S21 phone, they seem to just output in multi channel stereo with the only other option 2 channel stereo. After doing a bit of research it seems this is a limitation of the type of Chromecast the receiver uses. Is this correct?

I saw a suggestion about purchasing a Chromecast dongle and adding this to the amp? Would this give me more options and enable Atmos playback?

I have tried using the apps based on the TV itself but as my model does not support Atmos i don't think this is possible.

In short, what is the best way to play Atmos music, via either Tidal or Amazon music with my current set up?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Hi @Danthecrawleyfan ,
I had the same amp until recently and could only get it to play Atmos tracks via an HDMI interface so either via ARC from the TV or a streamer plugged into one of the other hdmi ports. I'm in the Apple ecosystem so used an apple TV plugged into the receiver and that worked fine. I believe Amazon Music and Tidal are available for Sony TV's via the google play store so you could try that first. Tidal app is supposed to support Atmos but no idea about the amazon music app.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply man.

I have just tried the app on the TV but when playing Atmos content I get a notification saying it's playing in stereo as the device does not support Atmos. Although I am looking at getting a new TV in the near future I'd like to find a temporary solution. Using some kind of HDMI streamer makes sense unless anyone else has any other recommendations? Will look into options.

Thanks again,

Dan

Upvote 0
I have been using an Amazon FireStick 4k to listen to Tidal Dolby Atmos tracks. As far as I know, Amazon Music Dolby Atmos tracks are only available on their smart speakers.

Upvote 0
I have been using an Amazon FireStick 4k to listen to Tidal Dolby Atmos tracks. As far as I know, Amazon Music Dolby Atmos tracks are only available on their smart speakers.
My main gripe with Amazon because they have quite an large catalogue of Atmos tracks now but no way of playing them through proper 7.1.4 setup.

Upvote 0
Yeah, although I have generally enjoyed using Amazon Music, particularly the high res audio, the lack of atmos support is frustrating. Thanks for your help @SeanBrothers. I have purchased a Fire cube and the atmos works a treat. Definitely reccomend

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom