Atmos instal. Linn AV 5110 speakers?

jim586music

Standard Member
Hello people.

I’m in the process of fitting out an av room. It’s a dedicated basement room approximately 3.9 x 4.2 x 2.20. It opens out into another 3.5 x 3.5 room. I will fit a thick curtain between the rooms.

I have many questions but the one I’d like to ask here is. I currently have an Onkyo 7.1 av 809 amp. It works perfectly.

I’d like to go Atmos but on a budget. I’d pay for a decent amp but I’m not sure spending thousands on surround speakers is really worth it.
I currently use Linn 5100 for rear surrounds and they seem to do the job. When you look on eBay you can get additional pairs for less than £100. These can be painted to blend into the colour of the room and so are fairly discreet including the ceiling. They can be angled etc and have fairly good specs.
When I look at inceiling speakers the cost and the additional back boxes seem over priced and rather hit and miss sound and location wise.

Am I missing something here?
I know they’re fairly long in the tooth but they’re a well constructed speaker and unobtrusive.

Thoughts please.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
No reason not to use them if you are happy with the performance.

Joe

jim586music

Standard Member
Thanks for the response. I can’t see any reason why they couldn’t perform atmos duties but I thought I’d check.
Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom