Atmos help on Sony DH790

gamer1981

I have the sony dh790 but I'm struggling to setup atmos ceiling speakers. I have 7.1, woofer, center, left, right, surround left, surround right, back high L (atmos) and back high R (atmos).

With my old yamaha I could select back height speakers for 7.1 atmos but on the sony it doesn't give me the option of back height speakers. The options are front high, top middle, dolby surround, bi amp, surround back, front b,

Any ideas?

Thanks

Damp Squid

When using a 5.1.2 Atmos set up the height or overhead speakers should be in front of the seating position, therefore front heights or top middles are the correct positions. Rear heights are only relevant in a system with at least 4 overheads or heights. .

dante01

Distinguished Member
I have the sony dh790 but I'm struggling to setup atmos ceiling speakers. I have 7.1, woofer, center, left, right, surround left, surround right, back high L (atmos) and back high R (atmos).

With my old yamaha I could select back height speakers for 7.1 atmos but on the sony it doesn't give me the option of back height speakers. The options are front high, top middle, dolby surround, bi amp, surround back, front b,

Any ideas?

Thanks
I'd suggest that you had your previous Yamaha AVR set up incorrectly. Atmos enabled 7 channel Yamaha receivers do not facilitate back presence speakers. The only options you'd have had would have been Front presence or with height. ceiling or upward firing Atmos enabled speakers.

Also note that you cannot have back surround and an additional pair of Atmos speakers if using a 7 channel AVR.

If you've only height speakers at your disposal then you'd be advised to mount them on the front wall above the front left and right speakers and not on the rear wall. This would be the FRONT HIGH option. If you were mounting the speakers on the ceiling firing downwatds and located slighly ahead of where you are seated then you'd select the TOP MIDDLE option. If using upward firing speakers then these would again be located at the front og the room and you'd select the DOLBY ATMOS option.

Neither your previous 7 channel Yamaha AVR or the Sony model facilitate rear height speakers.

The only options that would result in a pair of speakers being located firther back than the surrounds with your 7 channels AVRs would be a 7.1 configuration incorporating BACK SURROUND. This would not however allow you to portraying Atmos soundtracks.

gamer1981

Thanks guys. I have realised one of my issues was I was using speaker pattern 7.1 when it should be 5.1.2 for atmos. So I've set it to 5.1.2 and set speakers to top mid.

Thanks for all the advice 👍

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom