jimmymleeds

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

After completing my home cinema install in my garage conversion I tried out Suicide Sqaud on a 4K UHD disc mainly because it has Atmos encoding Im not a fan of DC films. GO Marvel

Anyhoo, the film sounded fantastic and I was very pleased with the results of my efforts over the past few months but upon pressing the info button on my Panasonic DMP UB400 it told me that it was outputting Dolby TrueHD.. there was me expecting Atmos. I checked my AVR (Marantz sr6012) and it showed input signal TrueHD/atmos output Atmos.

Shouldn't it the input signal just be Atmos from the Player, I've checked over the audio settings and everything is set to bitstream which, apart from PCM is the only other choice, no pass through.

Can anyone help clear this up for me?

Many thanks in advance,

James

No player will show Dolby Atmos on its front display as it is not a decoder
It is there to read the disc and pass bitstream to a AVR or processor
the AVR does the decoding and depending on the codec the AVR / processor shows Dolby Atmos,DTS:X or Auro 3D
Hope this helps
Andy

Hi Bri,
Thank you for your reply.
After going thru the settings in my BD player there is nothing that lets me specifically set the output to Atmos as I am guessing it is with most players in this price range only settings we have available are the bitstream/PCM options. Nothing I have tried shows up as a true 'atmos signal' like I get when i switch my Xbox 1 S on it says Input Signal atmos, output signal Atmos.

No player will show Dolby Atmos on its front display as it is not a decoder
It is there to read the disc and pass bitstream to a AVR or processor
the AVR does the decoding and depending on the codec the AVR / processor shows Dolby Atmos,DTS:X or Auro 3D
Hope this helps
Andy
Andy thanks for clearing this up I really appreciate your reply, I take it that although the input signal reads as TrueHD and the output signal reads as Atmos on my AVR info screen that I am indeed hearing Atmos. I just thought that the input signal from my BR Player would show as Atmos and output as Atmos just as it does my Xbox 1 S if you catch my drift.

Many thanks for settling my question.

James

Andy thanks for clearing this up I really appreciate your reply, I take it that although the input signal reads as TrueHD and the output signal reads as Atmos on my AVR info screen that I am indeed hearing Atmos. I just thought that the input signal from my BR Player would show as Atmos and output as Atmos just as it does my Xbox 1 S if you catch my drift.

Many thanks for settling my question.

James
Hi James
Yes let your AVR/Processor front display be your guide

If the disc has been mastered in Dolby Atmos a DA capable AVR front display should automatically show Dolby Atmos but this is not always the case
you might on occasion have to go into your AVR Audio settings on your remote and select it

Also some discs dont automatically default to Dolby Atmos you have to go into the disc menu and select it

You might also find this of interest
How Do Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Atmos Differ?

Hi Bri,
Thank you for your reply.
After going thru the settings in my BD player there is nothing that lets me specifically set the output to Atmos as I am guessing it is with most players in this price range only settings we have available are the bitstream/PCM options. Nothing I have tried shows up as a true 'atmos signal' like I get when i switch my Xbox 1 S on it says Input Signal atmos, output signal Atmos.
Atmos = TrueHD 7.1 + Metadata

I'm new to 4k . I have the player and an Atmos amp but I'm only set up for 7.1 sound. I just know from my experience of blus and DVDs that discs don't always default to the best sound format available. It's best to check first. I'm pleased you have your answer though.

Bri

I'm new to 4k . I have the player and an Atmos amp but I'm only set up for 7.1 sound. I just know from my experience of blus and DVDs that discs don't always default to the best sound format available. It's best to check first. I'm pleased you have your answer though.

Bri

So true. I've been surprised that some disc with Atmos dont default to it. Always worth checking.

The one that annoys me most is The Dark Knight Blu-Ray, defaults to DD 5.1 rather than TrueHD

The Matrix UHD is even better, it has Atmos but defaults to lossy DD 5.1

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom