Question Atmos height speaker placement

silouette

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Having looked at Dolby site for Atmos speaker am little confused as to” correct” positioning for heights in 7.4.1 system.
It seems that they should be evenly spread above and around the head position and but not sure if they need to be accurately spaced or if this be taken care of when balancing the overall sound when metering set up occurs.
Really just how important is accurate placement and what are the most critical points to consider ?

By height I take you mean having four speakers set high on the wall for Atmos duties. Personally I would place the front pair vertically in line with the front left and right and as high as you could possibly get them. They should be angled so that they are firing towards the MLP. The rear pair can be placed, again as high as possible, in either position that has the most suitable and easiest positioning. That could be above and in line with the surrounds or rear surrounds, again angled and aimed at the MLP.

It's the rear pair that are often the most problematic to place and this is where a diagram, with dimensions, of the room with all other speaker position are placed. It was would certainly help members to help you.

Well l have constructed a sort of gantry around listening area so the heights are hanging from that , at the moment sort of covering an even spread.
Thank you for your suggestion of positioning
above the fronts but that seems way off what Dolby site suggests although l assume yours is from personal experience and very valid ,hence my dilemma with conflicting opinions. If only there where more knowledgeable dealers around that were easier to visit to see how they went about it.Sadly Not sure how to post a diagram, aghhhh.

Everything is a compromise and you really have to fit in speakers within the room. Dolby's positioning is in the perfect room and should be followed as closely as possible. If not you have to make the best of what you've got. Ideally we would all drill holes in our ceilings at the perfect position but seeing I'm more of an expert with a large axe or sledge hammer my wife wouldn't trust me with her ceiling. I use upfiring modules. They work for me. I've suggested vertical in line with fronts to other members who have reported that they do work well when space is limited.

Thanks
Yeah it’s sort of the in the dark approach that is so AV related that makes what is best sound quality so hard to define as references are so hard to compare.
Unlike conventional hi fi were the parameters are easier to obtain and you know when you are close to audio nirvana.
Any AV forum members in the Hertfordshire area who might like to share their wisdom please feel free to get in contact.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom