Atmos: front or rear

JamesP1701

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my 5.1 system into a 5.1.2 system. Can't really justify going with a .4 system at this stage. i'd be using two height speakers rather than in ceiling.

My question though is should I be looking at front or rear heights?

With thanks,

James

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my 5.1 system into a 5.1.2 system. Can't really justify going with a .4 system at this stage. i'd be using two height speakers rather than in ceiling.

My question though is should I be looking at front or rear heights?

With thanks,

James

There's also middle height location

There's also middle height location
Good point. So would that essentially be on the top of the both walls?

I guess that then raises the question of where the best place to go is!

If you are wall mounting then on the front wall above the front left and right speaker. Depending on AV amp if Denon set as FHL/FHR. The Top Middle would work best as inceiling speakers and would need to be placed above roughly where your knees would be when seated at the MLP, again in line with the front speakers.

If wanting to use wall speakers as middles then they would need to be placed on opposite walls to the MLP. I would not use the rear wall.

If you are wall mounting then on the front wall above the front left and right speaker. Depending on AV amp if Denon set as FHL/FHR. The Top Middle would work best as inceiling speakers and would need to be placed above roughly where your knees would be when seated at the MLP, again in line with the front speakers.
That's great! Thank you. (Don';t suppose you have any recommendations about which reasonably priced pair to get??!)

There's pretty good speakers from Elac that are designed with the built in angle. Most, if not all, of those angled speakers can be used as upfiring speakers as well, so you have two possible locations. I've been running KEF R50s since they first hit the market. KEF's 'cheapest' speakers would be the Q50a.

If you're talking about the room that's in your pictures... to get the height, it may work better using some near flat on wall speakers mounted at an angle in the very large coving.

You could get them in white too. That may blend in better, give you that bit more height and you can optimise the angle to MLP.

E.g. KEF T101, T301 or Klipsch on walls.

If you're talking about the room that's in your pictures... to get the height, it may work better using some near flat on wall speakers mounted at an angle in the very large coving.

You could get them in white too. That may blend in better, give you that bit more height and you can optimise the angle to MLP.

E.g. KEF T101, T301 or Klipsch on walls.
Thank you.

I've actually changed the room up a bit since those images. Will take some more up to date pictures later and share them for your advice if that's OK!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom