Question Atmos configuration re-think?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by mcspongy, Jun 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    I currently have in-ceiling speakers for rear surround duties and they are very close to 45 degrees angle from the LP. I had planned to 'upgrade' to an Atmos set up by installing another pair of in-ceiling speakers , and converting the existing ones into "Atmos rear heights".

Although a few days ago when I did a quick measure up in the loft above I thought that I wouldn't be able to fit another set of in-ceiling speakers (having bought some already of course:)) at the same angle in front of the LP ("front Atmos heights"), in fact there is just enough room beyond the main perpendicular joist, (10cm to spare) under the piping which comes out of the tank in the centre of my loft, so I am hoping the speaker will be fine there (it will be 20cm away from the tank minimum). The other side is fine for installing the Atmos speaker. The front angle will be just over 45 degrees from LP.

So now THX have suggested go for 7.1.2 in preference to 5.1.4 I am now wondering if I need to rethink my Atmos (future) plans. Should I continue to use the rear in-ceiling speakers as rear surrounds, and have one set of height speakers (at a different angle to the LP, i.e. more overhead), or will this configuration be too muddled, so I'm better off without rear surrounds.

I cannot fit rear surrounds to the rear wall - window means too close to corners if I went with another pair of MA RXFX to match the surrounds, and, moreover, Mrs McSpongy said "NO MORE SPEAKERS ON THE WALLS!"

Thanks for advice.

2. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    I haven't yet but I can drop the surround speakers a foot or so on the side walls if necessary, currently about 2 feet above ear.

3. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Please could a kind Mod move this to the Audio Processors section, as that seems more appropriate....thanks very much.

4. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,447
    drop your side surrounds a foot and go with 4 Atmos overheads

the only downside is the angle you are setting them, it's a little bit on the large side but that said could well sound great

Allan :smashin:

5. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Thanks Allan.

I was a bit confused by the Dolby at Home guide - it looked like there was quite a big range for angles to seating position but no ideal angle. Presumably it's best to keep the same angle front & back (equidistant from the listening position)?

I could move the sofa back a few inches to have a shallower angle (to the existing ceiling speakers) and have the front ceiling pair the other side of the joist in the loft, in which case the fronts would still be closer and about 25-30 degrees angle.

I thought you'd say that about the surrounds!

6. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,447
    my Atmos inceiling are spaced 75dgs apart from my seating centre position and I feel give a very special overhead effect

I'd leave the rears as is and move the seating if poss back a little then do the front 2 the same angle then def drop your sides

7. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    You'd better believe it!

I'd better get the calculator out again to see how far back id need to move the sofa back to try to achieve those angles as I don't want to be too far from the screen, and the sofa will restrict the opening of an airing cupboard door besides, although thankfully it opens the opposite way.

When I installed the ceiling speakers I went as far back to the rear wall as I thought was sensible to give some distance to the sofa, so I think I will end up compromising with the Atmos angles.

Thanks very much for the advice though.

8. Jag @ Epic Home Cinema

Jag @ Epic Home Cinema
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,245
    Any pic's of your room Mcspongy? Having a loft space above is a complete bonus as you're afforded a little more flexibility.

9. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Poor ones:
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

(The Devore on the sidewalls and ceiling is 1m from the screen wall).

The joists in the ceiling run perpendicular to the screen wall (so back to front of room, which is a massive bonus for cabling) apart from the really big piece of wood in the middle of the loft (the 'main joist' I referred to above) which runs perpendicular to those joists and is the one determining the distance I can position forward of the sofa - it is either quite close to the sofa, or the other side of it and just a bit further away from the front of the sofa than the distance the existing rear speakers are from the rear of the sofa.

I did blutack up some templates to the ceiling the other day at the longer (most equidistant) distance and they were about a foot forward of the ceiling lights.

As you will notice the left rear surround ceiling speaker is further from the sidewall than the right - this is because the gaps between the 1st three joists on that side of the loft (nearest the exterior wall) were smaller than the rest (which are all the typical width between the joist centres). When I stuck up the mock front ceiling speakers I obviously lined them up with the rear ones, and it was more noticeable that the left speaker was furthe into the room, but I could live with that happily as out of eyeline normally of course.

(and I am also using a lot of lens shift!!)

Edit: the room is approx. 4.3m x 2.6m.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  10. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    When I first used this room as the HC room I positioned the RXFX surround speakers on the high side (60cm above ear level) as I was nervous about me or the missus banging our head/shoulder into them when walking (cough..squeezing) past the sofa to get to the airing cupboard, and thinking about it, if they were 30cm lower they are going to be a bit more in the way...it might become more of a side wards limbo:D

11. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,447
    why are you using a lot of lens shift, I know I'm looking on my iPhone but your pj looks pretty central to me

having a loft just makes it easier to get above your room, flexibility is negated if things are in the way as you have already suggested with your joists

it's quite narrow so I wouldn't go with Atmos overhead speakers such as coaxial which give a wide dispersion as they will be close to the side walls and you could get reflections

I'd still lower the sides though to give you separation

Allan

12. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Thanks, Allan.

The mount is screwed into the joist above which is about 6 - 9 inches from centre, but it's the combination of that and the vertical shift, as I have my screen quite low. It was never an issue with my JVC (and the Epson before it) but it's much more extreme for the Sony - I'm gonna extend the mount by a couple of inches to reduce the amount of shift I'm using as it's still above SWMBO's head [edit: I meant still above her height lol]

The speakers I am using and was planning to use are MA C265LCR which are wide-dispersion I believe. Would it be any better if the 'cones' are angled towards the centre of the room (there's not masses of angle adjustment on these though)?

Being thick here: what do you mean by coaxial?

Would acoustic panels on the wall prevent the reflections (purely as an experiment, and with no idea of what effect it would have, I do have a small piece of acoustic foam on top of the DVD tower cabinets you can see in the 3rd picas the back of the room, because the rear right speaker is pretty close to those. I expect for proper effect I'd need at least another piece above the airing cupboard door.

Agreed, better dig the drill out. I recall the external wall was easy, but the metal studs on the internal wall, were PITA!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  13. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,447
    some coaxial speakers give a wide dispersion such as the tannoy at 90dgs, I'd suggest going with a slightly narrower dispersion if you can find some in your budget

wall acoustic panels to counter side wall reflections could be used but have a good listen first as you may not think you need any

im ordering some 265's for a client to be used as Atmos speakers this week btw :smashin: