Atmos cinema made from scratch in my garden

joner7777

Prominent Member
Reaction score
20160123_083833.jpg
20160123_150943.jpg
20160218_145306.jpg

Starts with a unused green patio 8M x 4M like this-

Kept size under local council guidelines .

Then a floor frame with levelling feet--

Then walls, insulation ,wiring
20160404_194552.jpg
20160402_164321.jpg

Rockwool 75mm insulation all over then wiring then 9mm ply sheets covered with 10mm foam sheet and suede stapled on them.
The joins in the sheets are then covered with varnished ply strips raised up by batons.
[/ATTACH]
20160525_174738.jpg
The outside finished now. Garden shed outside , man cave cinema inside.
20160507_155058.jpg

Finishing off the inside , bar is made from converted kitchen units with solid worktops for the equipment rack as well.
20160525_175155.jpg

The posters on the wall act as insulated drop down window blinds.
The black side curtains are remote so as for screen masking when I get to set it up.

DOF Realty simulator and aircon to me cool.
sim.jpg

20160525_175015.jpg

So there is a cinema made from the ground up in 2 months ,just week ends and a week off work to fit the walls.
I could have bought a premade log cabin but it would not have had provision to install insulation or the size I wanted and it is difficult to fit a vapour barrier.
This started as I was reading all the ideas about rooms and equipment on AV Forums,
Thank you.

Last edited:
That is fantastic!
Have you got any more pictures of the build?
How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?

That is fantastic!
Have you got any more pictures of the build?
How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?

I remember it is around £3k for the building and then equipment on top of that.
It was a lot of work , my arms still ache and don`t like carpentry very much!
The floor and wall frames and outside cladding was quite straightforward , the roof felt was hard work.

The interior was tricky as I had to work it out as I went along, I opted for curved seating as I have a low 2.1M ceiling so I could not really fit in rear raised seating, anyway the kids use the front space as a disco floor!
I did not take many pictures , I was so busy building it, I will see if I can find some on Mrs phone.

This looks a great build - I can't believe you built it so quickly. Puts me to shame, congrats.

Its very satisfying doing all the work, and the bespoke approach gets you exactly what you wanted. Or at least, all the compromises are your own.

Thanks for sharing.

I remember it is around £3k for the building and then equipment on top of that.
It was a lot of work , my arms still ache and don`t like carpentry very much!
The floor and wall frames and outside cladding was quite straightforward , the roof felt was hard work.

The interior was tricky as I had to work it out as I went along, I opted for curved seating as I have a low 2.1M ceiling so I could not really fit in rear raised seating, anyway the kids use the front space as a disco floor!
I did not take many pictures , I was so busy building it, I will see if I can find some on Mrs phone.

Where did you buy the shed from? Planning mine as we speak!

Where did you buy the shed from? Planning mine as we speak!

I bought it in lengths of timber.
Used a bench chop saw, and son in law who is good with maths!
It arrived on flatbed lorrys from Bradfords/ trade point or Wickes.
So built the whole shed , once the floor was down i had a good flat base to use to build the side wall frames on.
If you build your own ,you can have exactly what you want with size / door position / window sizes and keep height for planning correct.
Once you get started it does not take too long, just makes your arms ache from power driving in 100 `s and 100`s of huge wood screws to hold all together.

I'm about to start my shed build thread that will be in GC that will have photos from all the steps up to where I am at the moment. I've done a similar sort of thing but unfortunately won't be a home cinema, just a shed. :(

Wow this is just what I might be doing in the future, I'd have to get a couple of joiners but I'd labour to keep costs down, in relation to planning pwrmisiiom did you come across any problems?

Wow this is just what I might be doing in the future, I'd have to get a couple of joiners but I'd labour to keep costs down, in relation to planning pwrmisiiom did you come across any problems?

No , there is a standard set out as to what you can or cannot build in your garden area.
There is a dot /gov planning portal on google that explains all .

It`s one of those jobs that once you have worked out how much timber you need and it is piled up in your garage waiting to be used and the Mrs is complaining "move that wood please" then you have to get into gear and get going.

Last edited:
My apologies for the bump....

On your floor, I assume you added insulation between the joists but was there anything underneath that or just air?

My apologies for the bump....

On your floor, I assume you added insulation between the joists but was there anything underneath that or just air?
Hi.
Yes I set some brackets on the side of the joists a certain depth and used celotex.
The flooring has a 10mm gap between it.

Last edited:
Hi.
Yes I set some brackets on the side of the joists a certain depth and used celotex.
The flooring has a 10m gap between it.
Also .yes fresh air under that!

This looks great, would be interested in more photos and info on the build.

I'm starting to consider buying a log cabin to convert into a home cinema, or build one myself but not really got the first clue to start.

One thing I am interested to know, would outdoor home cinemas be covered under house / contents insurance? Is this something you looked into at all?

This looks great, would be interested in more photos and info on the build.

I'm starting to consider buying a log cabin to convert into a home cinema, or build one myself but not really got the first clue to start.

One thing I am interested to know, would outdoor home cinemas be covered under house / contents insurance? Is this something you looked into at all?

I did not take many photos when building only the ones above , i was so busy at the time i did not stop to think about it --shame really.

As long as it`s under 2.5 M to ridge height and not against neighbours boundary you should be ok .

You have to start with a good base really , i was luck that mine was a concrete patio , which was not level so i used building levelling adjustable pads.

I went and looked at other manufactured buildings and copied some ideas.

I had a guy with me who is excellent with maths so could calculate lengths /angles/thickness of wood needed for the main shell of the building.
Without his help i would have been lost!-:eek:-You have to have this or a carpenter mate to help!
He worked it out ,i done the donkey work.
I then worked out what i could do inside , which i enjoyed doing:thumbsup:

Pre made buildings are difficult to insulate and usually have no waterproof membrane and cost more.
A chop saw / tools and time.

It is covered under external buildings under house cover but i increased the policy to cover expensive gear.

Impressive work nice multi purpose shed cinema. I'm sure you will have got a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Impressive work nice multi purpose shed cinema. I'm sure you will have got a lot of enjoyment out of it.
Thanks,
Yes, it is always handy to have when my better half wants to watch soaps and the like on the lounge tv.
I can slink out there and play with gadgets !

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom