Atmos ceiling speakers

pugme

Hiya guys.

Looking for some advice on some ceiling atmos.

I'm building a dedicated cinema room, I'm a big fan of this forum and utilising the classifieds, and have done for many years.

My previous setup which I'm utilising for now and adding too was a 5.1 q acoustic setup, and the new setup is too become a 7.2.4 I've purchased off ebay a set of 3 KEF Reference 2000 ci in walls which I will use as front center and left and right sides. I will continue to use my q acoustic front towers and rear bookshelf for now with intent to upgrade to KEF as time passes.

But my question is this, I'm looking at the KEF Ci160QS and KEF Ci130CS as options for my 4 ceiling atmos speakers, is 6.5" in the ceiling going to be overkill? And would I better off with the 5.25"

My whole house has quite a 'square' theme so am leaning more towards the square speaker grills over round.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hiya guys.

Looking for some advice on some ceiling atmos.

I'm building a dedicated cinema room, I'm a big fan of this forum and utilising the classifieds, and have done for many years.

My previous setup which I'm utilising for now and adding too was a 5.1 q acoustic setup, and the new setup is too become a 7.2.4 I've purchased off ebay a set of 3 KEF Reference 2000 ci in walls which I will use as front center and left and right sides. I will continue to use my q acoustic front towers and rear bookshelf for now with intent to upgrade to KEF as time passes.

But my question is this, I'm looking at the KEF Ci160QS and KEF Ci130CS as options for my 4 ceiling atmos speakers, is 6.5" in the ceiling going to be overkill? And would I better off with the 5.25"

My whole house has quite a 'square' theme so am leaning more towards the square speaker grills over round.

No 6,5" drivers won´t be overkill with the in-ceiling speakers. Many actually jumps to 8" drivers in dedicated cinema rooms with the atmos channels, but the Ci160QS looks fine it has the larger 19mm tweeter (over 16mm) and slightly higher power handling over CS serie. They aren`t cheap at 199£/each (800£ total for 4), but you are buying the Reference Ci set for LCR so i feel you want to keep certain quality all around if you aren´t budget restricted. The QS and QR ranges are the top models below Kefs THX range. You could still send emails for different dealers to see can they give you any discount when you buy 4 of these.

You didn´t mention which surround l/r and surround back l/r speakers you going to use. Ideally the same or these:

pugme

No 6,5" drivers won´t be overkill with the in-ceiling speakers. Many actually jumps to 8" drivers in dedicated cinema rooms with the atmos channels, but the Ci160QS looks fine it has the larger 19mm tweeter (over 16mm) and slightly higher power handling over CS serie. They aren`t cheap at 199£/each (800£ total for 4), but you are buying the Reference Ci set for LCR so i feel you want to keep certain quality all around if you aren´t budget restricted. The QS and QR ranges are the top models below Kefs THX range. You could still send emails for different dealers to see can they give you any discount when you buy 4 of these.

You didn´t mention which surround l/r and surround back l/r speakers you going to use. Ideally the same or these:

Because this is an expansion of a previous system (5.1) to begin with I'll be using my Q Acoustic 2050 front towers and the matching bookshelf rears surrounds

As I've just purchased (ebay auction) the 3 in wall KEF's to go front center and surround Left and right

So just accumulating the correct amount of speakers firstly to get 7.2.4 for this room.

Before upgrading the front towers and rear bookshelves, I'll probably turn my sights to the subwoofers, where a pair of svs subs are looking like the way I'm going to go.

But of course I will eventually upgrade the front towers and surround rears to something from the Kef range.

But I very much so appreciate the advice. Dammit now you're going to have me looking at 8's 😂

Edit - no, 8's are out of the sensible price range. Lol

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Because this is an expansion of a previous system (5.1) to begin with I'll be using my Q Acoustic 2050 front towers and the matching bookshelf rears surrounds

As I've just purchased (ebay auction) the 3 in wall KEF's to go front center and surround Left and right

So just accumulating the correct amount of speakers firstly to get 7.2.4 for this room.

Before upgrading the front towers and rear bookshelves, I'll probably turn my sights to the subwoofers, where a pair of svs subs are looking like the way I'm going to go.

But of course I will eventually upgrade the front towers and surround rears to something from the Kef range.

But I very much so appreciate the advice. Dammit now you're going to have me looking at 8's 😂

Edit - no, 8's are out of the sensible price range. Lol

Oh! I would have put the new Reference Kefs for the LCR right away to get identical speakers there as they are much higher quality than the budget QAs. You going to have bit head scratching later with the front mains, but perhaps some used Kef Reference speakers then assuming you want to keep the tonality same at the front. I feel that having higher quality LCR would be more important than more speakers (atmos), but each to their own.

SVS always good choice, but depending which models you are looking there could be better deals especially now that easter is close, but that would mean doing the purchase within week. :) Out of curiosity which models you looking for, what is your max budget, room size? Oh and what subs you have now?

pugme

I won't fit the inwalls upfront because that isn't the long term plan and I don't fancy cutting 2 number 2' holes in a freshly plastered wall 😂

I very much so like the look of the KEF Q950's so eventually would most likely get them to compliment the rest of the setup.

Right now, I'm still using a very average q acoustic sub. But again, as with everything I will upgrade as I go. Model wise, I regularly keep an eye on the classifieds section and kind of see what pops up and then google search it and see if it's for me. The room isn't massive it's 4m x 3.4m screen is on 3.4m wall

It's been a full house renovation (im a carpenter so have done a lot of the work myself) I don't mind this room taking a bit of time as it's 'my' room. I also have another very expensive hobby of playing with modified cars 😂 so that steals a lot of my money too.

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
You don't need to driver-match the ATMOS speakers as much as the wider ear-level setup.

There are brands such as Q Acoustics and Monitor Audio that have a square grille option for their speakers :)

Q Acoustics has a SKU (QI65SP @ £200 per pair) which are for the actual speaker with a square grille, whereas Monitor Audio speakers are an additional purchase at circa £22 each for the square magnetic covers.

The C165 for example would be a nice little speaker for your ATMOS duty.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom