Atmos Ceiling speakers positioning- Advice needed

diluxe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

trying to finalise the placement of my speakers in my Garden office/Cinema room for cabling etc

The room is 6.5m by 4.5M with 2.4M height ceilings
At one end of the room will be a 120-130" projector screen.
Sofa is placed 1.6m from the back wall
The front and rear speakers on the drawing are 0.8m in from the side walls.
I currently have the ceiling speakers inline with the Fronts and Rears.
The ceiling speakers are set 45 Degrees from the listening position , if the listening position was in the direct line from front to rear..
Rear most Atmos speakers are 65cm from the rear wall.

Does this seem all ok to you guys?

Celing speaker placement.jpg

According to Dolby, the overheads look fine, but I would suggest pulling your rears to the side walls and forward a little.

I know it isn't what we all expect or thought, but it is how they recommend it now.

Unless you were ever thinking of a 7.x.4 system, in which case you do as you have designed, if not pull them a little closer to the centre line.

Upvote 0
According to Dolby, the overheads look fine, but I would suggest pulling your rears to the side walls and forward a little.

I know it isn't what we all expect or thought, but it is how they recommend it now.

Unless you were ever thinking of a 7.x.4 system, in which case you do as you have designed, if not pull them a little closer to the centre line.

so i did think about a 7.1.4 setup but the left side of the building facing towards the screen will be two large glass patio doors, which then posed an issue for me in terms of foot traffic and where i could put the speakers without the kids knocking them over. I still haven't been able to figure that out.

The rear most speakers are going to be in walls, would i help just to bring them in a foot or two towards the centre line? I don't really have the option to angle them.....................

Upvote 0
I certainly would not bring them in any more, unless you were definately going 7.x.x.
If they are going in-wall (we can help with that - lol), you can certainly leave enough spare cable on to move them over time if a 7.x.x solution presented itself.

If you have the space in the corners, I wonder if you could do something a little different.

Once the room was built, you could put a sheet of accoustic plasterboard in each corner of the rear of the room angled at 30-45degrees, this would achieve a number of things as well as looking really contemporary and cool. You could even light it and have some Cinema Artwork on them.

It would allow you to push your rears wider, as per the Dolby Spec.
It would allow you to angle them in towards the MLP (Main Listening Position)
&
It would help defuse the room by deleting 2 of the 4 right-angle corners.

You could also then fill the void behind each angle with thick rockwool to help deaden and defuse sound further.

Would that work for you?

Upvote 0
I certainly would not bring them in any more, unless you were definately going 7.x.x.
If they are going in-wall (we can help with that - lol), you can certainly leave enough spare cable on to move them over time if a 7.x.x solution presented itself.

If you have the space in the corners, I wonder if you could do something a little different.

Once the room was built, you could put a sheet of accoustic plasterboard in each corner of the rear of the room angled at 30-45degrees, this would achieve a number of things as well as looking really contemporary and cool. You could even light it and have some Cinema Artwork on them.

It would allow you to push your rears wider, as per the Dolby Spec.
It would allow you to angle them in towards the MLP (Main Listening Position)
&
It would help defuse the room by deleting 2 of the 4 right-angle corners.

You could also then fill the void behind each angle with thick rockwool to help deaden and defuse sound further.

Would that work for you?
Thank you for taking the time to reply I hadn't even considered placing in-wall speakers into the corner .

So just a question on that, would that make some sounds appear to be coming from the side rather than from the rear or is that a little tradeoff for a greater dispersion of sound? .

Upvote 0
If you look at the spec from Dolby I linked to above, for 5.1.4 then you will see that the rears are further apart than the fronts. So while this idea is still not perfect, it is the best you could do given you cant go into the side.

Upvote 0
so these speakers i have circled in yellow would output rear and side surround in a 5.1.4 configuration hence the placement?5.1.4.PNG

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom