Answered Atmos ceiling speaker location

richardsim7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to figure out where is best to mount my XTZ S2s to my ceiling to complete my 7.2.4 atmos setup :)

I made a rough model in Sweet Home 3D (which is free if anyone wants to download the app and have a play with the 3D model). Here's the file: atmos.sh3d - Hostr, download and share anything.

And here's a couple of screenshots:

1w5mlSY.png

fHtzeBn.png

As you can see, I'm aiming to get this as close to Dolby's spec as possible:

caht8Mb.jpg

The beams in the ceiling have some coving too, as you can see here:

3POkCnW.jpg

So yeah, any thoughts on location of the ceiling speakers?

You'll need to go up the wall somewhere I presume and then along the coving I would have thought. Retro fitting is always a pain.

Have a look at the D-Line conduit. It can be painted, and the profile can match the coving. My PJ has its cables running around the coving, and once painted, you do not notice it.

Mini Trunking

Yeah I like D-Line stuff, I use it around the skirting and it blends in flawlessly. Most people don't even notice

I'm thinking corner trunking up in the rear corner (probably have to cut away the dado rail). Hoping the 22mm one (I think D-Line only do one corner one) will fit all 4 cables (Van Damme Blue 2x2.5mm) each cable has a diameter of 7.6mm so...we'll see...

Was then thinking a small 16x16mm (12x8mm is too small unfortunately) between the pairs, just carrying one cable, and maybe a 25x16mm trunking from the back corner to the front for the 2 cables for the top front speakers :)

If you have to cut through it, try something like a hobby/dremmel tool. Better than hacking away at it and cutting out too much.

That wasn't my thinking tbh, but it may work just as well. More something to cut it away exactly to the profile of the trunking so that it could almost slide behind it

I wouldn't lay the cable over the top of the dado rail, no chance.

That's the idea ;)

Just depends on how 'clean' you want it to look.

I'm a bugger for detail :D

I can send you a sample of the cable so you can work out the size of conduit you may need. The smaller the better obviously.

No worries.

Yep, gotta love dremmel. Takes me back to my car modding days and cutting away the dash to get those dials in there :D

Have a search for a hobby drill, most likely cheaper with a range of accessories that would do the job.

A messier option would be to chase the wall. Plunge a few drill holes and hack out a channel. Drill deeper behind the dado rail and pull the cable up from behind the dado thereby avoiding any cuts. A messier option but all round the neatest end result. Very much depends on how fussy you are.

Jag

Jag, you beautiful bastard :D

Worked a treat

Bit of paint and it'll be perfect. Even tempted to try and mould the trunking using a heat gun... :eek:

Beautiful I certainly am. A bastard too when my lay clients are rightfully/wrongfully convicted (day job).

Glad it worked buddy.

I was in the indoor demo room earlier today trying out some new demo material with the 7.1.4 Cinema series setup. I am of course unashamedly wholesale biased but I was blown away once more by the Lucy Atmos disc. Once setup Rich, watch the sequence in the cell when the drugs first kick in and she's floating up to the ceiling. A superb mix with lots of activity across the soundstage.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom