Atmos ceiling speaker install help needed

TheFridge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
So I got a room that was being renovated wired for 2 atmos speakers ( should have done 4 but wasn't thinking)

Anyway I have to try install them. I pulled the cable but then wasn't here when the work was done. Electrician never installed as I didn't have them at the time.

I'm very nervous about cutting the ceiling as if I hit a rafter I may as well pack up my bags and move out 🙈🙈.

Attached is the diagram and I have spoke to the elec and confirmed that the measurements are to the centre of a rafter.
But then I stupidly checked with a stud finder and its telling me different.... (although I don't trust it)

What would you do??

Attachments

• IMG-20201106-WA0016.jpeg
    IMG-20201106-WA0016.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_20201028_123803_com.whatsapp.jpg
    Screenshot_20201028_123803_com.whatsapp.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 79
I've never had much luck with stud finders. Could be picking up something else - a noggin, a pipe, a cable.

Got a few choices I guess, beyond just going for it.

Carpet up upstairs and look from above.
Drill tiny holes in the plaster to accurately confirm exact location of the joists.

Does the builder know if those 2 locations are clear? I found heating pipes above my living room caused me issues.

It's a flat roof so nothing above. I know for sure there are no pipes but maybe some electrical cable but should be able to push them up out of the way.

Attachments

• IMG-20200925-WA0055.jpeg
    IMG-20200925-WA0055.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 81
I'd just start small with the holes. So if it goes wrong you can fill without it being noticeable.

Think I might have it. Used a magent to locate plasterboard screws. So can find the studs that way... Returning this stud finder that's for sure.
Will update in the afternoon🙈🙈🔨🔧🔩

Ahh yes I've read that before - great shout. Good luck

Ok, so I always cut ceiling speaker holes with fear and trepidation. so this is how I do it.

1. Markup Speaker Cutout on the ceiling.
2. Starting from the middle make a single cut working out to the marked limit for the ceiling hole.
3. Go back to the middle, rotate blade 90 degrees from previous cut, cut again to the marked position.
4. Repeat step 2
5. Repeat step 2
6. Now cut around the edge of the cut out with far more confidence you are not going to hit anything.

If you hit anything while cutting out the first 4 cuts, you can adjust in the opposite direction.

If you do need to adjust, its is only a line and not a hole so far easier to fill and make good.

Hope that helps.

Chris.

Drill a small hole where you want install the speaker. Bend a piece of wire or coat hanger to a 90 degree to the same radius as the cut out and poke through the hole and rotate. Pray it doesn't snag on anything.

Drill a small hole where you want install the speaker. Bend a piece of wire or coat hanger to a 90 degree to the same radius as the cut out and poke through the hole and rotate. Pray it doesn't snag on anything.

Did that once and then the padsaw hit suspended beams, whole ceiling had been battoned out and the coat hanger was just low enought to sweep underneath the beams! Much confusion when we started to cut and hit stuff.

Push it up high enough to ensure there is enough room above the ceiling for the speaker. Worked for me.

If it's a flat roof, there should be a load of insulation material in between the joists - that may cause you an issue with sawing the holes......

Did that once and then the padsaw hit suspended beams, whole ceiling had been battoned out and the coat hanger was just low enought to sweep underneath the beams! Much confusion when we started to cut and hit stuff.

We're in 👍👍👍

The place is destroyed 😂😂😂

Attachments

• 16046792270339204617895896618114.jpg
    16046792270339204617895896618114.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 89
They are not sitting flush, when screw in will that pull them up or should they be flush before?

They should be flush once they have been tightened and the legs grip the plasterboard.

Finished it all off today.... Happy out. Ignore the blackout blind.

And its straight now, 😂😂

Attachments

• IMG_20201106_202054.jpg
    IMG_20201106_202054.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20201106_174011_335.jpg
    IMG_20201106_174011_335.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 56
What are those on-wall speakers please?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel