Atmos ceiling placement in a loft

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jslater, May 30, 2018.

1. jslater

jslater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi All,

Quick bit of advice if I may. I'm adding 5.1.4 to my loft conversion, mu question is really around the ceiling atmos speakers (I've labelled them A1-A4. Builder is putting enough a gap between the two veluxes to accommodate, rather than the 200mm on the plan).

Looking at the Dolby Atmos guide, they need to be placed outside of the sofa area which, given a sofa is normaly 2m or so, about 2.5m between the speakers. That will give me a height of 1.8m, which is less than what Dolby recommend.

So the question is do I put them closer together and gain height, or go for width? I'm thinking of either KEF or B&W, which I understand can be positioned better in less than ideal circumstances.

Only other q is the rear left placement. For asthetics it'll obviously be better to place this along the lower wall rather than behind the sofa. Would you be able to bias the AV enough to cope with the weird placement if I did put it there, or is there another option that's potentially better?

Thanks for any tips!

James.

Attached Files:

2. Member 769353

Member 769353
    Previously davidf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Dolby’s recommendations are usually based around having the perfect room - very few people have that. It’s just a case of accommodating things in the best way you can. To help that, the links of KEFs based on their UniQ technology will help, as their dispersion is controlled, and identical throughout 360 degrees, whereas speakers using offset HF and LF units will be different. At least with the KEFs you don’t need to worry too much about whether you want to place them higher or lower

UniQ based KEFs tend not to excite HF reflections in more sparse rooms like many speakers too.

These are based around the Q Series speakers, and these around the R Series, so it’s just a case of choosing the sort of quality you’re looking for.

My view is address as many issues as you can with the speaker choice, as this gives the EQ less to do, and therefore less chance of messing things up by drastically altering what is supposed to be coming out of the speakers.

Alternatively, the Monitor Audio CT380IDC allow you to angle the mid and HF drivers to help focus the sound more towards where you want/need it.

3. jslater

jslater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks a lot for the detailed response, will take a look at those speakers as well!

4. jslater

jslater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ended up going with the KEF Ci100.2QR for the rears and Ci130.2QR for the mid's. Space restriction between window and rear wall meant only the 100's would fit.