Atmos and surround upgrades

Gazaman

Hi all,
I have a small room and currently have a marantz NR1709 with q acoustic concept 20s front and centre. I'm extremely happy with the front but I now want to try and improve my surround and atmos speakers.
I'm running 5.1.2
The problem I'm having is that my rears and top middles seem to morph into one sound if you know what I mean.
I know atmos is supposed to surround you in a bubble of sound and I appreciate that, but when playing atmos demos etc that people recommend with stand out "object based" scenes, I don't really get that localised effect that I should.
I can't remember what the surrounds are but I'll look when I get home and update this thread, but my top middles are polk audio RC60i.
Are these ceiling speakers OK or is it worth upgrading?
Cheers
Gaz

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
Hi Gaz

It could be positioning more than anything.

In your amp, have you configured the ATMOS as front, centre or rear?

Is it a timing issue where sound that travels through the scene hits your rears and overhead at the same time?

Gazaman

Hi Gaz

It could be positioning more than anything.

In your amp, have you configured the ATMOS as front, centre or rear?

Is it a timing issue where sound that travels through the scene hits your rears and overhead at the same time?

Thanks for the reply @Yorkshire AV.
It's hard to pinpoint what the issue is to be honest.
For example, I read (on here I think) to watch the opening scene from 'IT' with the rain coming down and it's supposedly sounds like the rains coming down on top of you. To me it sounds like it's just coming from my rears.
My Atmos is set up as top middle. Also the atmos track is definitely selected and playing.
I've even downloaded REW and have been watching YouTube tutorials on how to use and wow.... its quite in depth 😲.

So I'm wondering if there is something simple I may be overlooking?

Thanks again,
Gaz

Edit.... Just to add:-The speakers definitely work and are outputting sound but just not getting localised effects like I would expect.
Setup done using audyssey.

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
Hmmm.

Try changing your ATMOS to be top front (even if they're overhead) to see if that pulls the sound more "forward" in the presentation perhaps?

If you're listening to a DOLBY Atmos track, and your amp is definitely showing Atmos in the processing/output then it's an interesting one.

Do you have any demo discs or Dolby downloads (from their website) that you can run over and over? One that is a good one is "Amaze" on the latest blu ray. Rain/storms overhead are exactly there. They're not mixed to the rears at all.

Gazaman

Thanks mate, I'll hopefully have a play about later and see if I can get hold of the amaze demo you speak of.
When looking for in ceiling atmos speakers, is there anything in particular that needs to be looked for? My ceiling speakers seem to be more like a room filling loudspeaker with a large spread of sound rather than a "surround speaker".
Does room size come in to play as well or does none of this matter?

Cheers
Gaz

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom