Atmos advice please

Antorumbo

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

A few years ago, I took advantage of some fairly keen pricing on the below discontinued Monitor Audio speakers that I had hoped would work for a 7.1.4 Atmos set up. Now having second thoughts though and works really appreciate your comments/advice.

WT380-IDC X3 (LCR)
WT265 x4 (Sides and rears)
CT380-FX x4 (Atmos in ceiling)

Room is 5.2 x 5.8 metres and 3 metres high and I've just installed the appropriate monitor audio back boxes in the ceiling. I'll be building a timber stud wall next week to house the speaker and internal insulation.

Thing is, now that I'm finally renovating the home cinema room, I wonder if it's a mistake to use the CT380-FX for Atmos duties (spec. Below) They're still in their boxes so I could always try and sell them and switch to C280 or C380 IDCs instead.

Thanks,
Anthony

CT380-FX
Features surround mode selection of dipole (diffuse sound) or bipole (direct sound) operation for super-discreet home theatre sound.

Frequency Response
45 Hz – 30 kHz

Nominal Impedance
6 ohms

Sensitivity (1W@1M)
90 dB

Maximum SPL
111.6 dBA

Power Handling (RMS)
120 W

Recommended Amplifier Requirements
30 – 120 W

Drive Unit Complement
8” C-CAM cone bass driver featuring RST
2 x 1” C-CAM fixed angle Gold Dome tweeters

Adjustment Controls
HF Level Switch
(+3 dB / 0 dB / -3 dB)
Bipole / Dipole Switch with Additional 12v Trigger Switching

I'm assuming of I use the CT380-FXs I should leave them in Dipole mode to help with dispersion? Apologies if this is a noob post, just keen to get the appropriate set up from the start

I'm assuming of I use the CT380-FXs I should leave them in Dipole mode to help with dispersion? Apologies if this is a noob post, just keen to get the appropriate set up from the start

MA recommends the IDC models for Atmos.

If you are going to use the FXs i would assume the bipole mode would be more ideal with Atmos. However there is switch so it would be easy to test both out.

Thanks for the advice. I've read some fairly contradictory comments so far but it certainly seems that dipole is incompatible with Atmos.

I won't be in a position to test them for a few months with all the work that's ongoing. Fingers crossed they're not too far behind monopole/direct.

Do not use FX for ATMOS :)
ATMOS is directional - FX is wider dispersion (with the dual tweeter design).

C265-IDC is a good speaker for this application. You have the option of the C380-IDC also.

NOTE - ATMOS won't really exercise the larger driver size. Thus the C265-IDC is often used by installers / enthusiasts :)

Don't forget acoustic hoods or the back boxes!

Thanks for the advice. I actually bought 4 backboxes from you guys a few weeks ago 😄

If I did crack on with the CT380-FX, would be great to know when their drivers be utilised with non-Atmos content? E.g. Music, any other cinema formats than Atmos? If not, what's the point of bipoles in the ceiling!?

Thanks,
Anthony

They're usually used for surround in-ceiling i.e. when you cannot get side/rear surround in walls.

Not generally for music, usually home theatre / surround sound environments :)

Ok, so better suited to sides and rears in the 7.2.4 I'm going for.
In that case, would the WT265s work as Atmos ceiling speakers?

WT380-IDC X3 (LCR)
WT265 x4 (Sides and rears) swap to Atmos ceiling or buy IDCs
CT380-FX x4 (Atmos in ceiling) swap to sides and rears

The WT265 aren't suitable for in-ceiling ATMOS.

You may be as well sticking to the original plan:

WT380-IDC as LCR
WT265 as the surround/side surround

Sell the C380-FX and buy C265-IDC :)

Do not use FX for ATMOS :)
ATMOS is directional - FX is wider dispersion (with the dual tweeter design).

C265-IDC is a good speaker for this application. You have the option of the C380-IDC also.

NOTE - ATMOS won't really exercise the larger driver size. Thus the C265-IDC is often used by installers / enthusiasts :)

It would be nice to test that out cause we have high amount of members who wouldn´t use direct radiating surround speakers for atmos rig either (bipole/tripole/tri-axial prefered over them) even if Dolby says the opposite, so how much of the FX style bipole ceiling speaker would make difference at the end of day? :) They still have bipole (direct) and dipole (diffused) switch. However if they can be sold easily without huge loss of money then by all means go with IDC.

AVF moderator had the C265-IDC and for certain reasons didn´t like them and moved to larger 8" ceiling speakers from other brand and i see this same trend at AVSForum people choosing larger 8" ceiling speakers for Atmos. For lounge use 6,5" version is surely fine, but how about OP`s dedicated room with 3meter high ceiling and if he pushes the system loud? :)

85w vs 150w power handling (RMS) noticeable difference there and slightly higher sensitivity which doesn´t hurt. +220£ to 265-IDC, is it much for long term then..

Interesting. I think I'm going to have to try them out with the 3 metres ceiling height I have. While not as direct as monopole, they are still technically direct in bipole mode and with 120w RMS and an 8" bass driver, I'd like to hear them and judge for myself before making a change.

Thanks again for all comments, very helpful! 😀👍🏻

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom