Question Atmos addition to kef 3005se

tintin jones

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Quick question, I currently have a 5.1 set up of kef eggs 3005se for many years and I love it - very wife friendly (visually) too which helps. I recently upgraded my amp to Denon x3600 and so can now enter the world of atmos. As a total atmos noob can I add atmos speakers to my kefs like say the KEF Q50A pair and have it not be rubbish? I know my current kefs are not top end but I can't afford to upgrade them.

What's my best option to get atmos into my system?

Thanks a mill

You could get another pair of 3005se from eBay for a fraction of the price and they would make excellent front heights.

You could get another pair of 3005se from eBay for a fraction of the price and they would make excellent front heights.

Hmmmm I hadn't thought of that so basically any speakers can be used for the atmos side of things?

Any speaker will work for Atmos, doesn't have to be the 'Atmos Modules' such as the very excellent KEF R50s. Another set of Eggs, either 3005s or the smaller versions will work if placed very high on the front wall and angled towards the MLP. The main problem is getting those speakers at the right angle which may mean some extra work other than the KEFs standard fitments.

A lot of members use the CA Minx that are so light they can actually be fixed to the ceiling in a downward firing position as per the Dolby guidelines, or roughly above where your knees would be when sitting at the MLP.

Any speaker will work for Atmos, doesn't have to be the 'Atmos Modules' such as the very excellent KEF R50s. Another set of Eggs, either 3005s or the smaller versions will work if placed very high on the front wall and angled towards the MLP. The main problem is getting those speakers at the right angle which may mean some extra work other than the KEFs standard fitments.

A lot of members use the CA Minx that are so light they can actually be fixed to the ceiling in a downward firing position as per the Dolby guidelines, or roughly above where your knees would be when sitting at the MLP.

For some reason I'd always thought heights should be towards but slightly over MLP and in that case if the max drop on the 3005s is much like my E301s they would be about right out of the box. Might be dreaming this of course :)

For some reason I'd always thought heights should be towards but slightly over MLP and in that case if the max drop on the 3005s is much like my E301s they would be about right out of the box. Might be dreaming this of course :)
That positioning is referring to the Minx as they can, being so light, be fixed to the ceiling in the same place that in-ceiling speakers would go in a conventional 5.1.2. 3005 Eggs, because of their weight, would have to fixed to a wall, they are much heavier than 301s. On the 3005's fixings there is very little room to angle down. Great speakers though.

Realistically you place speakers such as the Eggs in the place that is best allround, such speakers are always going to be a compromise in the vast majority of houses. Basically if it works for you, it works for you.

That positioning is referring to the Minx as they can, being so light, be fixed to the ceiling in the same place that in-ceiling speakers would go in a conventional 5.1.2. 3005 Eggs, because of their weight, would have to fixed to a wall, they are much heavier than 301s. On the 3005's fixings there is very little room to angle down. Great speakers though.

Realistically you place speakers such as the Eggs in the place that is best allround, such speakers are always going to be a compromise in the vast majority of houses. Basically if it works for you, it works for you.

Nope, you said mount the eggs "very high on the front wall and angled towards the MLP" and an e301 is a fair bit heavier than a 3005se satellite, 2.4kg against 2kg. You have confirmed the mount sounds much the same as I expected.

"very high on the front wall and angled towards the MLP"
My bad. I thought you were on about the Minx. Yes I would place the Eggs on the front wall.

My bad. I thought you were on about the Minx. Yes I would place the Eggs on the front wall.

That would explain it :)

My problem is due to the physical nature of the eggs i can't actually position another speaker on top of them so would need to wall mount which wouldn't really suit the cinemaroom (or the wife). My ideal plan is to replace the front three speakers with something like LS50's and then use my eggs as the atmos speaker but that could be a while off 😭

Can anyone see any issues with that proposed set up?

My problem is due to the physical nature of the eggs i can't actually position another speaker on top of them so would need to wall mount which wouldn't really suit the cinemaroom (or the wife). My ideal plan is to replace the front three speakers with something like LS50's and then use my eggs as the atmos speaker but that could be a while off 😭

Would make a lovely set up. The LS50s are a class speaker.

That's what we've been suggesting :)

Hi folks,

Quick question, I currently have a 5.1 set up of kef eggs 3005se for many years and I love it - very wife friendly (visually) too which helps. I recently upgraded my amp to Denon x3600 and so can now enter the world of atmos. As a total atmos noob can I add atmos speakers to my kefs like say the KEF Q50A pair and have it not be rubbish? I know my current kefs are not top end but I can't afford to upgrade them.

What's my best option to get atmos into my system?

Thanks a mill
I am having the same issue I have the same kef system trying to go Atmos too

I have a nice to pair of Kef 301's for sale on the forum I used the for Atmos on front wall and ceiling

Using the KEF upfiring speakers would work very well I have R50’s with Q100 fronts and KEF 3005se for rear and sides And it sounds fantastic

Attachments

• A3359C95-6974-4B5E-9C26-2AB25364782A.jpeg
    A3359C95-6974-4B5E-9C26-2AB25364782A.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 363731A1-E2E9-4290-9129-1A98241B87D4.jpeg
    363731A1-E2E9-4290-9129-1A98241B87D4.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 71

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom