Question Atmos - adding to existing setup (retrofit to 5.1) without adding wiring?

Techhobby

Novice Member
Reaction score
Newbie here, I couldn't find a matching thread with the answer. Sorry in advance if this was already answered, please point me in the right direction.

I have an existing 5.1 setup. Wired by the builder of the house. I just bought a set of Klipsch quintet and Polk 505 sub with a pioneer lx101 that supports atmos.

Can I add additional up firing speakers to my front surround with the existing wiring, without adding more speaker wires (ie pigtail off current surround)? Or do I need to run new wiring, then place the new speakers above the front surround?

Trying not to do damage to the drywall if possible.

Another thought is maybe placing the front surround on my entertainment center (currently mounted on the wall), then place the new up firing atmos speakers on the wall pointing up.

Thanks.

1499061199461665441848.jpg

You will need to run new wiring for the Atmos speakers and they would ideally be placed above your front L & R speakers

You need separate wiring as they are unique channels. When you say front surrounds do you means your front left and right speakers? Surrounds are at the back - never at the front.

If that is a picture of your current set up then ATMOS won't work as your left and right are normally at ear height with either ceiling speakers/height speakers or upfirers for ATMOS. You're current set up look like front heights anyway.

Thanks. Yes that's my current setup. So if I take the front ones down, put them next to the TV on the entertainment center thus being ear level, I could then mount new atmos speakers on the wall pointing up? Or better to just put the atmos speakers on top of the fronts?

And is it really worth it to do so? I'm fairly impressed with how the current setup sounds. But like I said, newbie here. Thanks.

You've got a couple of options. You could buy some upfiring atmos speakers and place them at the same position as your left and right, these bounce the sound off the ceiling making the sound appears if it comes from above.

Personally I'd be temped to leave those speakers in place and set them as front height speakers. This is an alternative configuration for atmos.
You could then buy two new speakers to use as your left and right, and those wires would be easy to conceal.

I'm really happy with my atmos set up but only you can say whether it's worth it or not.

Cool, so basically I can buy 2 speakers for the front, and rewire the current high fronts as atmos speakers? Thanks. I thought atmos had to be fired up or coming straight down from ceiling.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom