Question Atmos 7.1.4 help please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by devise94, Dec 25, 2016.

1. devise94

devise94

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi everyone,

So I've recently decide to take the plunge towards Atmos and purchase a Pioneer
    SCLX701. I'm quite new to these home theater setups so would like help in running a 4 atmos speaker setup with 7 channels (7.1.4). I know this box is cable of doing this providing some sort of external amplifier I read but I have no clue what that means and how to go about doing it.

I know how to setup the 5.1.4 using the amp itself but what I'm interested in is how to use a second 2 channel amp to power the rear atmos speakers.

Can anyone recommend a budget 2 channel external amp which will do the job for the rear atmos speakers just fine?

Also can anyone provide a tutorial as to how to go about setting up the second amp (settings for atmos on the second amp etc)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Publicnme2273

Publicnme2273

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    I bought a 2nd amp for my atmos set up , but used the second amp to power my main front speakers with an rca connection . rest of the speakers are run with my receivers amp . The seperate amp is better for pure audio stereo .

3. devise94

devise94

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Thanks for the reply. Could you let me know which amp you used to power the front R and L? Also, I don't have a clue how to setup the second amp in terms of wiring or volume control on second amp etc. Do you have any tips?

4. Publicnme2273

Publicnme2273

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    I used the the Roksan K2 . I've got the Denon avr 5200 and set my front 2 channels through pre out connected with rca interconnects . The pure Audio with the Roksan is excellent . I control the front speakers with the denon speaker level settings .

5. devise94

devise94

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    OK, that external amp you have is a bit out of budget for me. But hypothetically, let's say I purchase the following 2 channel amp:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-...82711234&sr=8-15&keywords=2+Channel+Amplifier

Would I run 2 rca connector cables from the pre out port of the main pioneer SCLX701 into the "input 1" and "input 2" ports of the external amp linked above?

Following that, I would run speaker cables from my front Left and front right into the external amp red and black speaker ports?

Am I right in what I'm saying?

6. kcsun

kcsun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Yep that is correct, the volume is controlled from the AVR not the Behringers. Make sure when you first turn it on that the volume is set very low and then adjust from there.

kc

7. Publicnme2273

Publicnme2273

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Correct pal . You will then go into your amp setup and set the front speakers as pre out and assign each other speaker , such as your atmos speakers for the remaining outputs , and calibrate the levels through the receiver . I hope that helps , as i'm not experienced with Pioneer receivers .

8. Publicnme2273

Publicnme2273

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Btw i got the Roksan on here used for £240 on this forum , used section . Given the amp you're thinking of using , i'd use it for the surrounds , as i only meant for you to use the amp for the main speakers ,thinking you'd be getting a higher end amp . The Pioneer will be giving out a much better quality signal to the speakers .

9. devise94

devise94

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Thank you for the advice. Say I did want to up my budget and buy a decent used (or new) receiver to power the front. Which one would you recommend that's quite easily available?

Also, I've attached an image to show the rear of my amp. See at the back there's two sections. One is called pre/ line out and the other is called just pre out. I'm guessing I would put the cable through the one labelled just "pre out" right? Sorry if this seems a silly quesiton - this is all new territory for me. [​IMG]

10. Publicnme2273

Publicnme2273

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Yes mate , pre out , so whichever speakers you've decided on connecting to the power amp , you plug your rca's into that output

11. devise94

devise94

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Thank you mate all ready to go just need the amp now!

Was doing a bit of research and many recommend the Audiolab M-PWR to power the atmos speakers.

How would the following compare with the audiolab M-PWR to power the atmos speakers:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-10...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AS2CCN6XWW9HJ65EQFXE

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-10...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AS2CCN6XWW9HJ65EQFXE

Would they do just as good a job as the Audiolab? Anything specific to look out for when purchasing these power amplifiers which them good or bad?

12. Publicnme2273

Publicnme2273

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    You're better off with a dedicated power amp , which the audiolab is . The pioneer is an integrated amp which you'll have to turn on and off manually every time you want surround sound . The Audiolab or any dedicated power amp will be controlled through your receiver , and you shouldn't notice its there , other than through the sound .

13. devise94

devise94

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Thank you that's great advice, I would have had no idea!

14. Publicnme2273

Publicnme2273

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    You're welcome bud . I've asked advice many times , glad i've helped somehow .

15. devise94

devise94

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    You have mate, I never had a clue where to start! Just curious though, for your Roksan K2, that is an intergrated amp right? I'm right in thinking that aside from a few technical hitches such as powering on the second amp etc integrated and dedicated power amps could serve the same purpose?

16. Publicnme2273

Publicnme2273

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    No mate , my K2 is a dedicated power amp , there is an integrated K2 also . Personally i think that the integrated amp is designed to control it's own output , bass treble balance etc , where as the power amp just amplifies and sends whatever signal , once processed by a pre amp or whatever it's connected , to the speakers it's connected to . Remember you're Av Receiver is processing all the surround sound signals .