Atmos 5.1.2 placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by CCPS, May 21, 2017.

1. CCPS

CCPS
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently running a 7.1 in a small area. seating position is against the back wall. so rears are in same back wall with adjustable cones kinda pointing towards seating position. because of shape of room (small) it was not possible to put side surrounds on floor at ear height. these are mounted on (not in) ceiling and firing down towards optimal seating area. and then the three front and sub. I am thinking of upgrading to 5.1.2 Atmos. the typical setup has the first 2 height speakers in the ceiling at the front firing down for a 5.1.2 setup. This seems odd in that my seating is not optimal to hear the enveloping sounds focused in front of the room from speakers firing down. I was thinking of converting my side surrounds to be the .2 height speakers and leave the rears as back surrounds. These sides are near my seated position where if I was doing a 5.1.4 setup I would put the 2 rear height speakers. Any optimal setup rules say they first two need to be in the front or put the speakers where I like?

2. db950

db950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    For a 5.1.2 set up ceiling speakers should be just in front of the seating position not at the front.
    IMG_1337.PNG

3. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,903
    You already have the speakers in position so apart from putting the correct speaker wires into the correct terminals and doing a new room EQ, it's going to be just try and see. You usually (no mention of your receiver) have to put the Atmos speakers in available height terminals. Your rear surrounds will then have to be moved to the surround terminals, what you have called side. That will be your base 5.1.

4. ste19690

ste19690

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    IMG_0754.JPG IMG_0753.JPG I went for using the back surround for height speakers this works well for me

5. CCPS

CCPS
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not purchased a receiver yet. I am just now exploring the whole situation. I am aware of the re wiring. I was just wondering how crucial it was to put the "front" heights in first before any others. seems its try it see how i like it:) Thanks for the replies.