1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI TV Wonder?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by wolfe, May 28, 2002.

1. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone used one of these to get a Sky/Cable s-video feed into their HTPC?
    Any quirks or foibles to be wary of?

Thanks guys;)

Wolfe

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Wolfe

I am also interested in this card, but I cannot find out what inputs it has, have you any links showing the inputs?

Cheers

3. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one of these in my PC (which I intend to use as a HCPC as soon as the AE100 arrives). It only has a composite input so, acting on Kramer's advice, i've ordered a PCTV Rave card from e-buyer for £36.93 inc delivery. This not only has an S-Video input but its conexant chipset is known to be compatible with dscaler (apparently i'm no expert), which is a good thing as Sky+ is installed as of today.

I think the thread was called 'one PJ, so many sources'

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Kevinr

I can't find the PCTV Rave card at ebuyer, can you help me out with a link please.

Cheers

5. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim

E Buyer

or quickfind code 11346 ( me and links have problems sometimes:blush: )

Regards

Kevin

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Kevin

Thanks for the link, it did work :) I found that one myself, I just wanted to check as the price seamed differant to the price you gave above, have you got yours yet? and can you comfirm it has s-video in.

Cheers

7. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim

Its the same one but the price I gave included delivery. You can always spend another £75 ex vat on something else to get free delivery;)

Here is the link for its tech specs. I was a bit concerned that the picture has a newer box but if you check on the (more expensive) Dabs site it list the spec with the 'old' box and includes S-Video

I only ordered mine yesterday but i'll confirm its inputs when it arrives

Kevin

8. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or even just click on the Ebuyer 'specification' link where it also shows S-Video. I always do things the long way;)

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Kevin

Thanks for the help :) it looks like its the right one then, could you please comfirm it has s-video when it arrives.

Thanks again

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Thats good enough for me, I'm off to order one now :)

11. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't co-operation fantabulous:D
    I ordered a WinTV from Scan that said it had an s-video input but it only had composite:rolleyes:
    I'm off to ebuyer right now to get the Rave:D :D :D

Thanks Guys

12. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No probs Wolfe

I will probably need more of the very same cooperation when all the stuff arrives just to make it work:blush:

13. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rave card arrived today complete with S Video input as advertised. Not tested yet (10m s video cable required)

14. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Thats good news :) try www.tmfsolutions.co.uk for good value Van damme cable, email Joe for a quote.

15. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    My Rave card has now arrived, seems odd having tv on my PC, I just need to wayup how to use descaler before connecting to my AE100.

16. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be in the same position when my AE100 arrives. Hope its straightforward:)

17. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Kevin

I have sent Kramer a PM asking for his settings with De-scaler, if I get any feed back I will post here.
    I will have a play with De-scaler later on, but there seems to be a fair bit of changes to make.
    I may also test the rave card with my projector later tonight, it will only be with the RF lead for now going into the rave card, I need to lift my floorbards upstairs to retrieve my s-video cable :( more work.

18. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tim

Good idea regarding Kramer. He swears by his set up. I know what you mean about floorboards, i've got to run my cables from the Sky box to the next room:( - but i'm sure it will be worth it.

Good luck

Kevin

19. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My rave card has arrived and I have installed it...I am very pleased with it and it has an s-video input:D :D :D
    Now if only my friends at Discount Electrical would call to tell me their AE100 shipment has arrived i would be an extremely happy bunny:cool:
    I can't wait to get the htpc hooked up to my projector....come on Panasonic ...sort yer act out!!!!

20. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I had my Rave card working through my projector last night, the picture quality wasn't that good with wide480 when using descaler, it seems to need a fair bit of tweaking, what tweaking, I dont know, Kramer will be giving me some tips for De-scaler later this week, hopefully this will clean it up quite a bit. I was only using the RF input to the Rave card though, hopefully I will have s-video connected up by the end of weekend.

21. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Kevin & Wolfe

I have now found out that my PC is not upto running Dscaler :( I am getting jerky video playback and juddery pans.
    I have an AMD K6 333 processor, which is not up to it, the minimum spec is a 400 processor. I hope you guys have the required power, as I believe it would be great.
    I now need to upgrade my PC to also give me DVD playback via a software player.

[​IMG]

22. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More money..... does it ever end. You may find that your motherboard cannot take a much faster processor or even if it can then the processor will not be available.

However once the speed goes up so does the cooling requirement and the noise with it. AMD chips tend to be hotter than Intel equivalents although the XP range run cooler due to a smaller micron process (or something like that). They are also cheaper - some internet places sell whole packages including motherboard, processor and memory.

I'm not sure how you feel about upgrading a motherboard but these days it is really straightforward. I've built a few PCs for friends and relatives without problems. My golden rule is to stick to reliable brands - Asus, Abit motherboards, memory from Crucial, proper cooling and a good Power supply - preferably from Enermax or Quiet PC.

Let me know what your plans are for upgrade and I (and others) will be able to point you in the right direction.

Wolfe - I'm also waiting for Discount Electrical to call with the good news. Ben 'had it on good authority' that they would be in last Friday. Sigh - more disappointment
    :(

Regards

Kevin

23. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HTPC is a relatively straightforward device to build....if you need a hand then please ask....I just knocked up a 1.2 Duron with 256mb ram/Radeon7200/WinXP....best thing to get is the enermax power supply with the fan control....seriously quiet and noticeably cleaner than the standard psu that comes in a case!
    Its a pain having all the bits in place except the projector!
    Oh well:rolleyes:

24. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Oh dear... Iv'e spent to much this year already :( yes, it never ends.
    I am thinking of going for an AMD xp1800 processor not sure about what board to go for, but mine will only take a k6 533 so it is no use to me.
    overclockers seem to have some reasonable bundles, Abit KR7A-133/AMD Athlon XP 1900 with heatsink and fan for £224, I will also go for 256 ddr ram... thats about another £80, I have a creative Nvidea 32mb graphics card, I will stick with this for now, maybe a Radeon at a later date. :( no funds at the moment, I have spent a bundle on AV this year, and we are re-decorating at the moment (nice dark wall paper :D )

I could go the cheaper alternative and go for a Duron processor, but the PC needs to double up for games, I also can't wait to try out Medal of Honour.

p.s if I went for a Motherboard with on board sound, would I have a problem fitting my own soundcard to get 5.1 sound output.

Cheers

25. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems like overkill for an HTPC to me....if you get all that horsepower then your graphics card will seriously bottleneck the system I suspect:(
    You could pretty much do the Duron/256/Radeon/Enermax combination for what you are considering spending....I reckon its the thick end of £300 to go that route and you may be surprised at the results!
    There is no problem disabling on board sound...its just a bios setting:cool:

26. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim

I think you've pitched it about right if you want the PC to double up for games. The XP 1.9 is probably the best value at the moment and you will notice an incredible speed jump compared to your existing K6. One thing to check is that your PC case is ATX, some older ones are AT and most new motherboards will not fit.

I can't get on to the overclockers site at the moment to check which heatsink it includes but you can buy the processor for £110, the board for £76 (from Komplett) leaving enough to get a zalman flower cooler heatsink/fan from here . I changed to one of these and the difference is amazing. The processor does run hotter than when my old super turbo nutter fan was in but it was louder than the Dyson.

Komplett are also selling 256mb of DDR ram for £33. I went for the Twinmos branded stuff (£40) as memory can be temperamental. (Crucial are also good but you can save delivery costs getting everything from the same place).

Wolfe, I don't think the graphics card will be too bad. Sure its a previous generation but it will play anything available today, just not at 32bit colour high resolution. Considering the PC is also for home cinema then a new blisteringly fast graphics card will also have a Dyson fan on it. Creative have some of the noisiest fans on the Geforce4 range. My brother has a Geforce 2MX and plays Max Payne without a problem. Unlike the rest of Tim's PC his current graphics card will probably be OK and at least he can test it in the new system and if its no good then he can upgrade later.

Your right aboout the onboard sound though. This is very easy to disable in the BIOS. Don't forget to though otherwise its conflict city and IRQ hell

Then its fast quiet hard drives, quiet PSU and how about an M/Audio or Terratec soundcard (I have a Terratec DMX6fire - best compromise between sound quality and games compat)... maybe next year;)

27. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Wow! thanks for the tips guys :)
    Wolfe, I think I really need to go for an XP processor, I have heard Durons are not quite as good for game playback, pitty, they are very cheap.
    Thanks for the tips with onboard sound, I am quite happy playing with the Bios settings.
    Wow! I didn't think DDR ram was so cheap, do you have a web address please.

I am thinking of going for this sound card, its cheap and has been recommended by several people.
    BTW.. my graphics card is the Gforce2 MX200.
    My case is an AT, so I will also have to go for a new ATX case, more dosh :(
    At least I will have enough old kit left to make a second PC up for my eldest.
    I just need to find some spare cash now, or put it on the plastic
    :confused:
    the heatsink and fan was a Globalwin CAK38-II and a sachet of thermal compound. I dont know if this is anygood.

28. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry forgot the link for Komplett . Unless the fan is advertised as quiet then I would presume its a normal "noisy" one. Its well worth the extra payng for the Zalman.

Seeing as you need a case you can either get a cheap one from E-buyer or splash out on a nice coolermaster one. You should also get a quiet PSU from either enermax or quietPC as they really do make a difference to the noise levels and will be able to power all the PC bits, especially the greedy XPs - at least 300W needed.

I'm not sure about the sound card. I've got an old Creative Live player wig Dig out (somewhere) which you can have if you want, if its no good then its no loss.

The Geforce MX200 is a 'lite' version of the original MX. Your new processor will give games a bit more oomph so you can play them and then decide whether its worth an upgrade. You can get a Radeon 7200 (which I have) to cope with all current games easily and that all important quality DVD playback from . here . The 7500 has a fan so is noisier.

This is a hurried reply Tim, we're actually one of the few streets having a street party and i'm late:blush: