ATI Radeon X800 XT Review

• Thread starter Deleted member 13294
  • Start date

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
How does PCI express fit into all this next gen graphics card business then? Is the performance of these x800 graphics cards hampered by the AGP bus i.e. is it worth waiting for a PCI express version to get the best out of it?

Cheers
Andy

D

Deleted member 13294

I've no idea Andy.

I guess the tests were done on an ordinairy 8x AGP mobo, as it doesn't actually state otherwise. In their benchmarks they compared it to the 9800 Pro, which is only available on AGP and I think they would have mentioned any big differences in testing rigs such as mobo / connection interface.

As to what difference it will make, I really don't know. From stuff I've read elsewhere, with this graphics card games will be CPU limited, so the theoretical bandwidth of the card is probably a redundant question. Especially with 256MB of Ram onboard...

NicolasB

Is the performance of these x800 graphics cards hampered by the AGP bus i.e. is it worth waiting for a PCI express version to get the best out of it?
I doubt it. How much of an actual performance gain was there going from AGP4x to AGP 8x?

It's just conceivable that Nvidia's approach of only having one graphics processor and using a PCI Express/AGP bridge chip on the card will turn out to be slightly less efficient than ATI's policy of producing a different graphics processor for each bus type, but even that would surprise me.

Top Bottom