1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128MB Platinum) v ATI Radeon 9600XT?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by PRINCEGRINCH, Oct 30, 2004.

1. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi, I need to sort my HTPC System out before my new Projector (Panasonic AE700) arrives. My Nvidia ti4200 recently burned out (Yellow Overlay/Tint to the display), so I'm thinking of getting a new mid-range card that will make a difference in Picture quality with the AE700 using nVidia 1.00.58 decoders and FFDSHOW via DVI-HDMI. The problem is I am having difficulty deciding which is the better card from the two. Can someone please advise me which is the better card between these two versions and maybe also how the Geforce nVIDIA 5900XT (128MB) may compare to the better one of the two. Any help would really be appreciated. Some info that may be of help is below. Thanks

GRAPHICS CARDS PRICES
    GeForce nVIDIA 5900XT (128MB) = £120
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128MB) = £100
    ATI Radeon 9600XT (256MB) = £80

MY SYSTEM
    ShuttleX
    Intel Pentium 2.6GHz
    2 X 512MB DDR400 PNY Memory
    MCE 2005 Operating System
    On-board 6.1 Sound Card

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Of the cards you list I think the 9800 is probably the pick since you want to use FFDSHOW, otherwise I'd say the 9600 .. I tried an FX 5700 Ultra as wasn't impressed, not sure that the 5900 is any different.

If you weren't looking to use FFDSHOW I'd say that the 6600GT is 'the' card for its' hardware-based post-processing and WMV acceleration, but since that's disabled with FFDSHOW (leastwise, DXVA is and AFAIK so is the VPP) then using FFDSHOW defeats the object.

3. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the advice KraGorn. One last question:

What is the difference between PowerColor ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128mb) & CanYon ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128MB)?

Thanks

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't know either brand, in fact I've never heard of Canyon before.

Basically, all cards using the same GPU variant, ie. in the case the 9800 Pro, are going to be similar in performance. Yes, different makers can use different speed memory and occasionaly one will stand out .. however for HTPC work these difference mean less is real terms than gaming.

I did a qucik search on Google and failed to find any info on the Canyon brand, Simply list them but no specs, while I did find this review of the Powercolor, which seems quite a good card from that at least .. I don't know how reliable that review site is, but it's better than nothing. :)

5. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks once again. After doing some research myself, I've found Powercolor and Sapphire to be the best from the 9800 Pro's. As for Canyon, the pro version is not even listed on their site, so this one seems dodgy.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've always bought Sapphire Radeons, 5 in all so far.