1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI Radeon 9200

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by scrapbook, Sep 27, 2004.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Just updated the graphics card on the kids computer so that Sim2 could runner better.

Having problems with the drivers, they do not seem to install correctly and wehn the computer reboots windows freezes on the desktop, i think when it trys to load Hydravision.

Is this likely to just be a case of having to update my bios drivers or something else? I have never had any previous probs installing cards so not sure what route to go down.

For info this PC is running Win98 and an ASRock motherboard

2. Bondy007

Bondy007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what card did you have in there previously? if it was an nvidia card you have to make sure every last trace of it's drivers are removed before installing the new one (driver cleaner etc)

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    There could be some hardware conflicts if one thing is much newer than another. It should be OK if you update all drivers and as you said, bios and chipset before you install the new card. Also make sure the card drivers are whql approved coz that can sometimes be the problem.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's not unknown for motherboards to have problems with cards when they're new .. of course, this begs the question as to the age of your board, but I once had an A-Bit motherboard which took exception to a 9700 Pro when they first appeared and needed a BIOS update to resolve.

OTOH, it may be more likely a driver problem. What board did the PC have before? Did you uninstall the drivers before changing cards? (It's always advisable to rever to the Generic SVGA driver before replacing a graphics card, especially if it's a different chipset).

Try booting into Safe mode, remove the graphics card in Device Manager, uninstall the drivers and then re-boot. Win98 should pick up the card and try installing drivers, or else you can re-install them manually.

5. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I previously had a Radeon 7000 (AGP) series, although you are right I hadnt removed the old drivers previously.

My motherboard is 6 months old, although how long they have been available for prior to my installation i am not sure. It is ASRock K7VT2 series.

Reading the ASRock website there is a current BIOS update that states the following improvement:

1. Open "AGP Fast Write" setup item in Advanced Chipset Configuration setup group. Default is "Disabled".

Is this likely to make a difference?

One other question, how do I start windows in 'safe mode' when it doesnt give me that option?

6. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    uh oh !
    the k7vt2 series have major problems with new gfx cards during games
    im suprised you havent had random shut downs yet as this is the one prob most people have
    This is a hardware conflict that is pretty much unfixable
    i had to take my asrock back to the shop because of it
    sorry to say you will most probably need to change the mobo too
    £40 and you could get some thing decent enough

7. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Well funny you should say that, sims and sims2 does "freeze" quite often according to the kids, I put it down to an old graphics card! Is the ATI Radeon basically the same as the gfx cards then?

So you reckon keep the graphics card and change the motherboard? Any recommendations?? Has to be a socket A (266FSB), currently got a Duron on the board, but have just purchased Athlon 2000+XP.

Forgot to say, would rather avoid changing the ram as well, currently have PC2100 DDR ram - is this feasible or will a new board require newer memory?

8. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I have just been looking at the VIA website, did you try the newish "Hyperion 4 in 1 drivers"?

Do you think that will make a difference?

9. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    i tried updating the bios as well as the drivers and it still didnt work, in the end it was put down to a badly built board, exellent for general usage but hell for gaming.
    The ram and radeon are fine as they are, its the mobo for sure, the asrock K7VT4 would lose sound as well as freeze and shut down so its not just your particular mobo, its all of them.
    I have the MSI kt4av mobo which cost me around £43, it does everything i need and more, i have never had a problem with it and serves me well.
    If you have the cash then a good Gigabyte would do you proud. (exellent for overclocking too;))