1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI Radeon 7500 and Dual Monitors.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Timh, May 24, 2002.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi all

From searching the net I have found out the 7500 supports dual monitor out, but when taking a look at this graphics card it does not seem to have two din sockets, it has one din 15 pin and another socket, if I was to go for this card, could anyone tell me what this supports and how would I connect my monitor and projector at the same time?

cheers

p.s correct me if I am wrong, but is the second socket just for flat panel displays?

2. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim,

Funny you should ask this as I was just trying out this feature last night with my newly aquired Radeon 7500.

As well as an S-Video TV connector, the card has a regular 15-pin VGA connector and a 24-pin DVI connector. The DVI connector is primarily intended for connection to a flat panel type display but my card came with a DVI-to-VGA adapter allowing two CRT monitors to be connected simultaneosly.

Unfortunately I thought the PQ on the CRT connected via the DVI adapter was rather poor and wouldn't want to use it that way for any length of time. I'm not sure if this is because I'm using a generic 7500 card rather than a pucker ATI manufactured card or because the DVI port is really not intended for such purposes. I suspect the latter.

Allan

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Allan

Thanks... that explains it then. I have been told you can get a monitor switch box, this way you can use the din socket and hopefully not loose any quality.
    This card has been recommended many times for excellent dvd playback and dual monitor out, but I guess the dual monitor out isn't so hot afterall.
    Would you mind telling me where you got your card and for how much, I may also end up going for a Generic card, unless someone puts me off.

Cheers

4. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim

I bought my card from dabs for £65. So far so good. I compared the DVD performance with a GeForce2 using the diagnostics in PowerDVD and the Radeon was achiving three to four times the frame-rates.

As far as dual monitor support goes, I guess if you have a CRT and a flat panel its great but I havn't got a flat panel here to properly test the quality of the DVI output. I'm confident it would be fine though.

Having a switch box isn't the same as dual-monitor capability. The dual monitor capability we're talking about here is being able to spread your windows desktop across two independent monitors. For example you could be working on a program full-screen on one monitor whilst having the help screen or debugger open on the other monitor. Or, watching a DVD from your projector connected to your PC, whilst running a web browser on your monitor !!!

Allan