1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI player?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NickBull, Oct 30, 2001.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the ATI player anygood.

I'm getting pushed for time and Roland is coming on the 7th november.

Some people say picture quality is better than winDVD.

Will it still work with DVDGENIE and POWERSTRIP?

If I start with it, then change to WinDVD, will the projector need any tweaking or will it be a seamless transition?

Thanks

Nick

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick as time is of the essence go with WinDVD.

ATI Player is hard to install and get working flawlessly. It also does not handle DTS.

It does work with Powerstrip and DVD Genie.

Theres a new player coming called TheaterTek which looks like it has a lot of potential. It is designed for HTPC's rather than People watching DVD on PC.

I think that as this is your first setup try and get it all working aok first before experimenting. WinDVD will do that for you.

Regards Neil.

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    If you go for WinDVD 2.6.4 on 98 or ME you can use the latest Radeon drivers (7199) to calibrate the overlay, with HWMC switched off PQ is very very good.

Jeff

4. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guy's. I'll stick with WinDVD then.

Still have the small problem of my PC not displaying on my dodgy old monitor. I'm going to try a slightly more modern monitor at work today!

It seems strange that the monitor can refuse to display anything above 16 colours at very low res, but have been assured that it is a common problem with older budget monitors, something about the refresh rate being set to the ADAPTOR default and there not being any driver info for the monitor to set it to the optimal setting.

Still, whatever I find I'll post just incase any other poor soul is having similar problems and having to keep delaying their projector installation!!

Neil, hows the HCPC project? I definately think my next upgrade might be along those lines!

Cheers

Nick