ATI or Nvidia

P

pcpaz

I am looking at buying a new card, seen ATI Radeon cards mentioned a lot, but what about Nvidia cards.

I want one that give good picture output on a normal TV, and one that has video in as well so I can connect my VCR to it.

It is best to get a separate TV card or an all in one card.

Your help would be appreciated.

I just got a nvidia gforce4 ti4200 and i think it is great .Not sure about the tv as i hav'nt tried it .I went for the gforce as i tend to play quite a lot of games and it tends to outperform the rad cards. Can't realy compare it to a radion card in the dvd stakes but it is suposed to be about the same from what i have read .( it looks pretty good to me)

Not to sure about the video in .I have a seperate video in card as dscaler does'nt work with the inbuilt chips on video cards. Dscaler is an esential if you are outputing the video to a projector . If you are just going to be recording and outputing to a tv i'm not sure if you realy need it so avid card with inbuilt video in may be fine

The Radeon is the better bet for TV output, as it is easier to tweak the resolution using PowerStrip or some manual registry hacking, to suit your tv (esp. if you have widescreen)
The excellent all-in-wonder series give you a tv tuner with PVR facilities.. ie. pause live tv and hard-disk based video recorder.
You can get these for about the same price as hauppage's stand alone PVR card!

Originally posted by Lem
The Radeon is the better bet for TV output, as it is easier to tweak the resolution using PowerStrip or some manual registry hacking, to suit your tv (esp. if you have widescreen)
The excellent all-in-wonder series give you a tv tuner with PVR facilities.. ie. pause live tv and hard-disk based video recorder.
You can get these for about the same price as hauppage's stand alone PVR card!

Thanks Lem

Yes I tend to favour the Rad cards over the Nvidia ones, and like the all in wonders cards. Which all in wonder would you recommend.

pcpaz

Ebuyer has the fab 8500DV AIW for £140. and here's a link to it too!

Even comes with a wireless remote control. However this is a radio based item, and I have not found a way to get girder or any other package to work with it. Works fine with the ATI packagae though!

Martin

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom