ATI/nVidia and Bluray Drive

3dit0r

Standard Member
Hi,

Adding a better graphics card and Bluray drive to my existing computer to playback Bluray/DVDs/Divx, etc and play occasional games.

I had been informed that HD playback on the nVidia 8*00 series is 'broken'. Can anyone elaborate? This sounds quite serious, on otherwise seemingly desirable cards.

What are the current known recommended cards for HD playback and games (any issues with HTCP known?)? It doesn't have to be very quiet, because it's an edit station PC and runs pretty noisy anyway!

Also looking for a known good Bluray/DVD drive.

Cheers,
James

badbob

Banned
I've also read Nvidia VC-1 acceleration is broken, so I'd choose a ATI instead. ATI 2600Pro, or another model I think from 3xxx range has superceeded this range. Look for passive model, shouldn't be more than £50/£60.

3dit0r

Standard Member
I've also read Nvidia VC-1 acceleration is broken, so I'd choose a ATI instead. ATI 2600Pro, or another model I think from 3xxx range has superceeded this range. Look for passive model, shouldn't be more than £50/£60.

Thanks I'll get an ATI then. I'll probably go for a slightly higher spec one as I want to game with it as well. :cool:

anthony.s

The Nvidia acceleration isn't broken, it just doesn't offload 100%.
I've had to replace my 2600XT iSilence III as the passive cooler blocked off the PCI slot on my shuttle which I'm now using for a HVR-4000 card.
So it is for sale. PM if interested.
It is as new (2 months old) with HDMI dongle and component breakout cable etc.
It's OK for gaming but not top performance but about as fast as the current cards go with passive cooling.

Obiit

The Nvidia range are good for gaming and HD codecs acceleration if you get an 8600 gt or above.

The 8800 series would probably be best value if you like games more than HD acceleration. The ATI's are very good with HD codecs but not so hot with games unless you buy the top range versions.

As for the drive i have a Pioneer BDC 202 and it's fine (especially as it's only 75 quid!)

HTH :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom