1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI hdtv Adapter Settings

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by phfjones, Jul 21, 2005.

1. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This adapter has been recommended to me through this forum, and I can't wait to set it up. It arrived from the US this morning, and it has six very small white switches labelled 480i, 480p,540p, 720p, 1080i, & 16:9. Each of the settings is allocated a number on the opposite side of the switch 1 to 6.

Question:

Which side do I move the settings to? The numbers or the DPI side. Also, if I am running both 1080i and 720p video out of my card (into a native 720p projector), which ones do I switch. Is it just the 16:9 and the 720p, or should I also switch the1080i. ( or all of them to be safe!).

Thank you, and look forward to any responses!!!

Paul

2. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Honest answer ... I've never been really sure what relavence they have :) !
    From memory switches at the DVI conn side are on, 3 phonos are off. When you connect the adaptor and bring up the ati advance settings\displays you'll find the display listed, switch it on and apply the changes ... then click on the heading (next to the now green display select you just used to turn on the output) and you'll find the component specific settings. In _here_ you'll see that the driver has detected the settings from the adaptor, but there's also an option to make the same settings with software tickboxes! Personally, mine is sat with 720p and 16:9 switched on both in hardware and software ... I run 1280x720 as the native res of my PJ but have also run 1080 through it without making these changes (maybe the dongle or gfx card downscaled to 720 because I didn't have the 1080 dip\s/w switch set ... I never looked!) :)

Duncan

3. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Duncan,

I'll do the same. Do you update the ATI driver's much or have you used what came out of the box? The ATI website says something about using Catalyst 3.2 minimum.

Paul

4. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    latest drivers from the ati website .. from memory if you look in the advanced ati settings at the displays tab there are 4 possible outputs ... vga1 (vga socket), dfp (dvi), vga2 (dvi), and tv (svid) ... when you plug the dongle in and reopen the displays page the dfp option has switched to the component dongle all by itself (magic!).

IF the dongle\gfx card really is downconverting from 1080 to 720 if a 1080 res is used but only the 720 dip\tickbox made then thats not what I'd want it to do ... I'd want the PJ to downconvert not the gfx card.

Fairly immaterial (but still interesting) as Im about to switch to my new dvi\hdmi cable as soon as I can get it into the cable run :D !

5. springy

springy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to let you know that I'm selling my HDTV Adapter on ebay, as I have bought myself a lovely new LCD Panel (Samsung LE32R41B) :D

Here's the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5791950282

The adapter works well, picture quality looks good, much better than connecting via SVideo or Composite.

6. 9761

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    you can get the adapter for around £25inc del,

Bit steep £50

7. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Can I get 1280x720 HDTV output from a Radeon 9600 without this adaptor using the VGA or DVI? Is this purely if you need component out or for the use of HDTV resolutions in general?

8. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes

9. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Happy to be called stupid here ( I may deserve it!), but I got my Radeon 9800Pro card today, plugged in the ATI adapter, but it only has picked up the resolution settings in the custom settings line, not the hardware line. i.e. the 16:9 setting is not ticked on the top level of the two options, even though I have moved the switch to the 'on' position. On the bottom of the two options I can check all of the boxes, byt have elected to tick just the 720p and 16:9 options., but it does not make a difference.

Consequently, the output to my widescreen projector is only 4:3, and not 16:9.

I am using the 9.1 driver software that came with the card (made by connect 3D)

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers

Paul

10. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    If only I knew about that auction earlier :/

Was looking for the purple ATI HDTV adapter.