1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI Fire GL8800 - good for HCPC use?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Canary_Jules, May 14, 2004.

1. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has an idea as to how an ATI Fire GL8800 would perform at the heart of an HCPC. Tom's Hardware describes one of these as a Radeon 8500 "on smack" as they were 8500s tweaked to Open GL perfection especially for the workstation market. The ATI website says that they are DX8.1 compliant etc, http://www.ati.com/products/firegl8800/index.html

There's been a few of these turning up on ebay at the moment so I'm wondering whether it might be worth a punt in preference to a Radeon 9200 which is markedly inferior in speed at least. Would the extra tweaking for CAD etc have any influence on DVD quality (bit of a noob question I know!). I'm sure there are many satisfied users of Radeon 8500s on this forum who could give an opinion.

Jules

2. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    For dvd there is no point paying extra for openGL or DirectX perfomance. A straight radeon 9200 will do fine. There are some who say a 9500 is slightly better but I can`t tell the difference.

3. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    Any difference then between a Radeon 9200 vanilla and 9200SE?

BTW, there was a Fire GL8800 on ebay last night that went for £33 inc delivery, which is roughly about the same price as a Radeon 9200 SE. So price isn't really an issue here.

Jules

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Have a another look...

http://oellerer.net/infinity_classics/!!!/Blocking.jpg

In full motion the difference is even greater.

5. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    Cheers Jeff.

I do see the extra blockiness in the left-hand sample. Do you know whether this is exaggerated still further in a 9200 SE as opposed to a straight 9200 or 9200 pro? ATI have clearly cut corners somewhere to reduce the price of the SE. And, going back to my original query about the Fire GL8800, would there be any difference between the output of a 9200 and the GL8800 (or at least the Radeon 8500 on which it is based?

Jules

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The 9200's and the GL8800 should have the same mpeg decoding performance, you still have the quality of the board and components to contend with so I still expect the GL8800 to be better.

7. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Incredibly marginal IMO.

I've used quite a few graphics card from ATI, from the lowely 9200 to the 9800 pro. What I can tell you is that there is absolutely no difference in the video quality of these card, the fact is, like you said, they all have the same generation decoders. The only area where there is a night and day performance difference is in the 3D arena.

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I guess it depends on the display device and the rest of the HTPC components, but the differences are pretty visible in terms of noise, sharpness etc on my display.

9. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking on a little more:

I guess you could be right Jeff as I used the DVI out on all these cards and not the analogue out which would be more susceptable to noise.

A good, stable power supply is always a must in a HTPC as this is the first point for noise to generate within the PC. I also use a mains conditioner for my Barco and the HTPC, so noise for me is a non issue or at the most a very minimal concern.

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Absolutely, buy the best PSU you can afford. :thumbsup: