1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI DVI to Component dongle into CRT, does it work?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Slinkoff, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi

I've been searching the forums but haven't found much of a definitive answer so I have 2 questions that I'd be very grateful if someone could help me with please:

I've got a Radeon 9600SE that, for PC case size reasons, I can only use the low profile bracket with, so I only have DVI output, no VGA. I want to connect to a Panny TX36PL32 CRT 100Hz TV that has component inputs for AV4.

1. Has anyone had any experience with using ATI's DVD-Component dongle and connecting to a 100Hz CRT television? If so, what's the picture quality like and what overscan problems did you encounter?

2. If it works, great. I only want to use MCE2005 as a PVR, I'm happy with my Denon prog. scan DVD player. However, I have to connect a prog. scan DVD via component as well so is there somekind of component input adapter/selector that will allow me to connect two component video sources into the single set of component inputs I have on my TV?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
    Slink

2. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I guess your TV will accept 480p/i over component? In which case it'll work, or at least it does on my JVC but that also accepts 1080i :)

The picture quality is great and I think the drivers have software to allow you to manually tweak a mode to correct for overscan.

3. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi

Thanks for your response. It's good to know it does at least work for your CRT TV so there's hope for mine. The part's on order so I should know soon.

I've no idea what my TV supports. All it says in the spec under Receiving Systems/Band name is:

PAL I UHF E21 - 68
    PAL 525/60
    M.NTSC
    NTSC

And the component input says it accepts normal interlace format as well as progressive format. Is this a good sign?

Slink

4. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    HI

where do you get these dongles from?

Many thanks

nathan

5. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
  6. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Your TV sounds as if it'll be fine for 480i/p then :) The dongle doesn't support 576i/p so no PAL resolution support unfortunately, just NTSC. It is a nice solid picture though :)