1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI Driver problems please help

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by fatrich, Jun 30, 2003.

1. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi
    Can anyone some offer advise please
    i have just upgraded form the ati 3.2 to the 3.4 drivers and somewhere in between i have messed up heres the story.

I firstly removed the control panel no problems then i removed all Ati stuff in the directories and local _Hotkeys and removed all the ati stuff in there and then realised i hadent removed the Ati driver in the add/remove programs (how dumb of me) by this time i think i'd rebooted.So i went in to add/remove programs and started to remove the 3.2 driver it asked me to reboot which i didnt and noticed it was still there in the add/remove programs ,so i tried again and rebooted this time still there wont go away.I have installed the 3.4 drivers over it seems ok but i always like to normally remove the drivers so there is no conflicts but this lapse in concentration is doing my head in.Short of doing a new install (seems abit drastic) can anyone suggest how to clear all the Ati stuff off bearing in mind i cannot remove via the add/remove programs for some reason,(is it because something is maybe running so it wont let me remove it?)

Currently using Win XP.

many thanks in advance

richard

2. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Rich,
    How's it going M8ty.
    Here's the clean install/uninstall instructions:

Alright...here is my way of deleting and installing ATI drivers running Windows XP (Win200 should be the same too).

1. Go into the Control Panel and under the ADD/REMOVE SOFTWARE icon uninstall the ATI MultiMedia software and/or the ATI DVD software.

2. Uninstall the ATI drivers also found in the Add/Remove section. Once removed, it will prompt you to reboot....do so.

3. When returning to windows, the NEW HARDWARE FOUND wizard will come up and will tell you that it has found a new VGA card and will prompt you for drivers. Hit CANCEL!

4. Now, go to START - SEARCH - FOR FILES OR FOLDERS and do a search for all files and folders using the filename ati*.*
    This search will normally give you 3 to 4 files found in your c:/windows directory and subdirectories (including the Windows/System directory). Select these files and erase them. Now go to your Recycle Bin and Empty your bin.

5. Next...time to go to your Registry. Go to START -- RUN -- regedit

Here go to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -- SYSTEM -- ControlSet001 -- Control -- Video . Here there should be 4 entries. 3 of them are default Windows XP entries and the 4th one is put in by the ATI drivers. Expand each one by one until you see ATI entries. Once found, erase the entire key.

Now repeat the same step above for the ControlSet002 key and the CurrentControlSet Key. Normally, whenever you erase a key in the ControlSet001, XP automatically deletes it in the CurrentControlSet section too. So if the ATI key is not found in the CurrentControlSet section, don't worry about it.
    Once all keys are deleted, proceed to the next step.

6. While still in the registry, go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -- SOFTWARE section. Here you should find an ATI Technologies key. Select it and delete it. In that same section, look for an Installed Options key. Expand it and there you should find another ATI Technologies key. Select it and erase it.

7. Still in the registry, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -- Software and there you should find another ATI technologies key. Select it and erase it. Once all this is done, close the registry. the registry is now clean.

8. Close all windows and reboot.

9. When in windows after the reboot the NEW HARDWARE FOUND WIZARD will pop up again. Cancel that. Now find the new ATI drivers that you have downloaded and extracted and run the SETUP file. Once complete, reboot and you are done. You may want to reinstall your ATI MMC software and DVD software if you use them. DONE!

For all those who do not like going into the registry and rather have an easy to use program to do it for you, you can grab a nifty tool called "RegCleaner" here and it will do it for you without getting your hands dirty in the registry. Follow steps 1 through 4 as stated above, then run RegCleaner to do the rest. Once completed, follow steps 8 and 9 and you are DONE!

Cheers:smashin:
    Tim

3. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Tim
    hiya matey
    funny enough i already use your method of uninstalling/cleaning up the regitistry got the edited version from Steve Bate a bit back, problem is Tim is the when i go in to add/remove programs and i try to uninstall the ati driver its still bloody there even after a reboot , when ive gone back in to add/remove programs the driver is still winking at me, i do however get in the tray at the bottom after a reboot new vga then it says radeon 9500 and then a secondary driver again saying radeon 9500 but i dont get the option to cancel ( thats because it still knows its a radeon 9500 and its still got the drivers) not the end of the world but it just bothers me, just one last moan ive just remembered when i try to revove the driver in add/remove programs it brings up a list of previous graphics cards like the radeon 9000 promary and secondary then radeon 9500 primary and radeon 9500 seconary and rage 128 from some bloody where which i grayed out and i cannot select that but i do select all the rest and it still wont uninstall it/them weired
    Tim i need your expert advice on this one
    lol
    cheers

richard

4. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Rich,
    Don't forget windows xp already has ATI and Radeon drivers built in, my guess is that windows recognises your graphics card & is loading the default driver, as to why the driver is still in your add & remove drivers page i'm stumped, although it could be a corrupted uninstall.
    Check this first:
    open my computer>control panel>system>hardware>device manager click on display adapters, right click, select properties, select driver tab, select driver details button, there you will see a list of the driver files underneath that there is a list:
    provider
    file version
    copyright
    digital sighner
    Now if you are on the standard windows driver it will say so in the provider section, if you don't see anything or see ATI in there you are running on the ati drivers.
    Get back to me with the details, email me, i reckon we could do this quicker over the phone.
    Cheers.
    Tim.
    P.S the uninstall instructions were not my doing, can't remember where i got them or i'd mention the bloke:smashin:

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Richard,

My guess is that you still have the ati*.inf files in the INF directory (or subdirectory). You need to delete them after the uninstall but before the reboot.

Jeff

6. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi jeff,
    That was going to be my next step;) but the puzzling thing is why the driver (as far as windows is concerned) is still in the add/remove programs list, my experience of that is a corrupted uninstall, where the file has been deleted but a fragment of the driver details are still in the registry, normally all i would do is a search for ATI in regedit & just delete anything ATI. Rich has said he has run the clean uninstall as per instructions so the inf file should have been deleted??? he also has, as far as i can tell 2 graphics cards in device manager.
    How's your PJ...not fiddling with it are you (ooh-err) ;)
    Cheers.
    Tim.

7. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Tim , Jeff
    thankyou for your advise i will give it another bash tonight if i cant clear it up i may do a fresh install.
    If anyone has any thing more to add please fire away.

cheers

richard

8. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Rich,
    As Jeff mentioned you may have the the ati inf files still on your computer, erase them, go through the cleanup routine.
    If it still not right, as i mentioned, check the driver specs, i can't offer anymore advice until i get more to go on, although i reckon a fresh install is a bit drastic.
    Time to learn how to use ghost mate, then you could have backed up blah blah.
    Cheers.
    Tim.

9. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Cheers Tim Matey
    cant afford a new hard drive at the mo so ghosting is out of the question, just one dump question about the ati*.inf files in the INF directory (or subdirectory) as Jeffy put it where exactly do i find all this stuff? the drivers are on my documents so i obviously delete them and then go in to ati* and delete all the ati files there is some stuff there i cannot delete like system 32 file ect and then go to Hotkeys_local ect, is that what Jeff means or is there something ive missed?

cheers

richard

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    When you install hardware it copies the .inf files to the .INF directory (normally c:\windows\inf). This directory is hidden so you will need to have view hidden files switched on. Its the ATI*.INF files in this directory that you need to delete.

11. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
  12. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Again thanks guys
    Tim if i run in to bother i will email u for the number

cheers again
    richard

13. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Tim Jeff
    i spent 3 hours on the computer last night and i compeltly cleared everytihng ati out of the directories and sub directories and Hotkey_user ect there was noting ati left but the driver in add/remove still would not shift even after a rebootLike u said Tim it must be a corrupt install, well i then loaded on the 3.4 drivers again so see how i get on

regards

richard

14. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Following the intructions in this thread exactly I've just installed the Catalyst 3.5 drivers and all programs (TheatreTek, Dscaler, WM9 etc.) appear to work OK.

How can I tell which version is currently installed? All the ATI adapter drivers list version 6.14.10.6360, yet the Catalyst file I downloaded was supposed to be 3.5.

I currently can't get the ATI advanced tabs that allow me to select multiple monitors, primary display etc.

Do I have to install any extra S/W? I'd like to avoid getting the ATI Media player again if I can help it.

Many thanks,

Mark.

15. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Mark,
    The cat 3.5 drivers is the version 6360 so you have installed correctly, you do not need the ATI control panel at all (unless you want it) it is an extra d/load.
    Cheers.
    Tim.
    EDIT To check driver version, right click on the desktop, select properties, press the settings tab, select advanced, select adapter, select properties, select driver, lastly select driver details, there you will see the ATI signatures & driver file versions