1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI Component adapter

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gavin Oliver, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Gavin Oliver

Gavin Oliver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Is it possible to buy the ATI DVI-I componenet video adapter anywhere in the UK?
    I dont seem to be able to find anyone selling, perhaps I'm looking for the wrong thing!

Gavin

2. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
  3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    free shipping too.. I paid about $6 shipping for mine (was in a hurry) and it arrived in 3 days!

Matt

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    One of these arrived for me today , ordered it about 5 days ago.

5. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    got one yesterday :) took it off today lol. I cant see that it will do anything for me that DVI wont do except for adding another D/A conversion process. Or am I doing something wrong?

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    HD resolutions into an HS20 without overscan?
    And the fact my DVI cable didn't arrive in time to get entombed in the wall and I resorted to the multicable that came with the projector!

7. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    :confused: help me mate. Ppppplease..
    I have HS20, nice PC and the dongle. I got so stressed with it, the only acceptable res I could get was running 1164x684 (or something similar) using one of the Advanced options in the Component option of ATI control panel.
    Also, am I wrong in thinking the HS20 would better suit 720p than 1080i? If so isn;t DVI at 1280x720 the same as 720p from dongle. If that is the case, surely using DVI will bypass another process of conversion.
    I was a little disappointed that my dongle arrived with nothing but a plastic bag, so I may have missed something rather vital.
    I'm always willing to try again..honest ;)

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Have you had a look at karnis ' custom resolution guide on the AVSforums?
    I figure I'll try 1080i initialy and let the HS20 downscale and then maybe tweak the settings to reduce overscan ( which is what I think Karnis is doing albeit not on an HS20).

I would have gone for DVI off the bat but I hd to get the decorating done and had trouble securing a long enough reliable DVI cable.

When the DVI cable arrives I'll see what it can do ( but I'll have to tack the bugger around the room now as the decoraters have finished and I don't want to carve the walls up again.

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    So far...

1920x1080i works with my HS20 but it has too much overscan and is unusable.

1776x1000i works fine with some powerstrip tweaking ( quite well in fact with HD material)

1200x676p also works fine and gives and acceptable desktop.

Whilst both resolutions work quite well and give no undescan on the HS20 neither are as nice as 1366x768 via DVI. I'd categorise them as looking a little soft in comparissons with DVI but they don't exhibit the slight judder the 56Hz 1366x768 res has , probably a benefit of the HS20s internal deinterlacer kicking in on the component path.

Now that my 12m dvi cable has arrived from the states I'll be trying to figure out a way of tacking it around the outside edge of the room. Of course if parcel-force hadn't delayed it for over a week while they sent me a letter informing me of the customs charge( just bring it to the door and I'll pay it you morons) I would have been able to sink the dvi cable into the wall instead of the component one!

10. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    appreciate the update mate :)
    I found the same res's you mention. As you say the only real advantage I found was the loss of the judder which presumably is caused by the poxy 56hz rubbish Sony have forced upon us. I'm currently running 1280x720 and everything is silky smooth (through DVI) it's a shame to waste the extra pixels (lol) but had to be done IMO.
    I'm rather cross that Sony haven't come up with a firmware upgrade or something to allow 60hz at full res. What's more bizarre is that my HS20 manual doesn't actually state the 1366x768 res like the HS10 one did.
    I've now ordered a RokuLabs HD1000, I cant sit still with all this HD stuff until I'm happy that I can sit down for a few nights and actually enjoy a few movies ;)

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, biggest "flaw" of both HS10 & HS20 :(

HS30 will (maybe?) support native res via DVI @ 48/50/60/72 &75 Hz?

Here's hoping anyway :thumbsup:

12. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    if only ;)

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    To be honest the 56Hz judder doesn't strike me as any worse than the usual 3:2 pulldown. The thing that does upset me a bit is the fan noise on the HS20! Someone described this as whisper quiet!

This is probably going to make me upgrade the HS20 sooner rather than later.

It does give a lovely picture though especially with HD material.