• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ATI CC - YCbCr 4:4:4 to RGB 4:4:4 setting not setting!

bagg3rs

Established Member
------Update----------

Just an update to this I went back to the Nvidia card - TV and HD content played OK just not as crisp as the ATI card. There was less flickering though. HD content didn't seem as smooth as ATI

So I bought a SSD then installed Windows 8 RTM plus Mediaportal 1.3A and everything is running so well. No more flickering (this happened to both cards) no more juddering on panning scenes (so far). I don't get the every once in a while stuttering in 720p and 1080p content!

Not sure if Nvidia has corrected the drivers (I installed the Win8 64bit which stated Win8 support) or Windows 8 has added some magic? So far so good and I love my HTPC again and I love Windows 8!

--------------------------------------
So since there were load of Olympic HD channels added and Media Center was not scanning channels correctly I went ahead and installed MediaPortal.

After install I had very jerky movement on some channels (mainly BBC Olympic HD channels). I checked the refresh rates etc tried different codecs (which actually disabled the TV plugin! and caused about an hour of me looking to find the TV option again)

Anyway I swapped over from my nvdia 210 to onboard ATI 4200HD (or 3200?)
now everything was running amazingly. But after about 20mins the colours went pink. So I found the solution which was to change pixel format to YCbCr 4:4:4 to RGB 4:4:4 (studio mode or Full) and then reboot.

It all worked and very well - colours, picture and panning in HD looked amazing! but then after standby the issue came back - checked settings and its back to YCbCr 4:4:4! This also happens after a restart.

I am on the latest ati drivers which by the looks of searches is not a good idea but has anyone else had this? I believe the problem stems from my not so great Sony TV (it cannot do 1:1 pixel mapping, so I have to scale and that seems to cause flickering every so often)

Thanks.

Last edited:

bagg3rs

Established Member
Just as an update. I tried an older version 2

ATI Catalyst Driver 10.11? and a 9.

The oldest version seem to default on RGB (had no studio mode) but after some time I got very juddery HD content.

With 10.11 which included the ATI VC1 component, video was smooth and system defaulted to RGB. All was working well last night. reboots/standby's. I thought I had cracked it.

But come the morning I get the pink screen again after about 20mins! The setting had changed back to YCbCr. I do think its the TV changing the setting.... does anyone know if this would be the case?

What version of the Catalyst driver are others using?

Also do people use the stanby tool with MediaPortal, I still have it installed but I remember setting MediaPortal up with a Power settings manager?

bagg3rs

Established Member
Thanks I will give that version a try.

AMc

Distinguished Member
I'm still on Catalyst 11.4, which has remained the most reliable version for me.

Me too - it works so I've stopped upgrading. Catalyst will nag you about upgrading after reboots some times which can mess up things - keep an eye out if your system boots straight into a media interface. Even the update notification seems to be resource hungry :rolleyes:

bagg3rs

Established Member
Thanks all I almost thought that had fixed it. It seemed to be surviving reboots standbys but then it reverted back. I think its in the start up of devices either TV or PC first which causes some sort of auto negotiation. I think I am going to return to Nvidia and see if I can get MediaPortal TV working with that.

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
Are you fully uninstalling the ATI/AMD software before the update? Otherwise there might be settings left behind.

bagg3rs

Established Member
Yeah - using only the AMD uninstall process.I know there used to be a tool around for cleaning up from 3dguru? but since been retired. I am pretty positive its the TV "Sony BRAVIA KDL40S5500U"

AMc

Distinguished Member
Perhaps the TV isn't reporting it's capable of RGB 4:4:4 over HDMI when the link is established?
I know that on my Samsung LED TV my xbox360 extender moaned about the TV not supporting 50Hz and I'd have to force it if I wanted to try it out. Of course it does support 50Hz but the HDMI handshaking clearly didn't indicate it would.

Not that it helps you unless you're looking at EDID hacking in the registry or planning on a Geffen HDMI detective - neither of which I've experience of other than reading about on here.

bagg3rs

Established Member
Yeah it also flickers quite regularly - almost like its changing refresh rate. Its a shame as its not a bad panel. The menu and digital tuner etc is another story. I guess look for a trade in!

Last edited:

bagg3rs

Established Member
Just an update to this I went back to the Nvidia card - TV and HD content played OK just not as crisp as the ATI card. There was less flickering though. HD content didn't seem as smooth as ATI

So I bought a SSD then installed Windows 8 RTM plus Mediaportal 1.3A and everything is running so well. No more flickering (this happened to both cards) no more juddering on panning scenes (so far). I don't get the everyone once in a while stuttering!

Not sure if Nvidia has corrected the drivers (I installed the Win8 64bit which stated Win8 support) or Windows 8 has added some magic? So far so good and I love my HTPC again and I love Windows 8!

icstm

Established Member
11.12 has been good to me.

Anyone using 2012 CCC drivers?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom