• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ATi 'already won' contract for next xbox

Crovon

Distinguished Member
News: ATI "already won" next-gen Xbox deal - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

ATI has already won the deal to create the graphics processor for Microsoft's next-gen Xbox.

That's according to this report, which claims that the platform holder is happy with the Xbox 360's ATI-built Xeons GPU and is keen to use the vendor again for its next console.

A return to ATI would make sense of course, because it'd mean backwards compatibility with Xbox 360 would be possible.

With the success of the Wii's small hardware upgrade, it's also possible that Microsoft will opt for an upgrade on the current Xbox 360 chip, rather than a full-blown redevelopment.

Codehead

Distinguished Member
I'm an nVidia man myself, but then I prefer OpenGL too, so I've doubly lost out with the XBox. :(

Codehead

Distinguished Member
Is this the bunfight between them and Intel?

I know that the Linux crowd were beginning to drift away from them after many years of fanatical support.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
That sounds good with some of the things that ATI have announced recently - eg taking the company that made DMM (Digital Molecular Matter (heavily featured in The Force Unleashed)) under their wing

As well as the rouble that Nvidia are in (stopping chip development, bringing many of their cards to EoL and their new cards not being out until next year)

Also shows that MS are getting the contracts to get ready to move on

brumhee

Distinguished Member
Also shows that MS are getting the contracts to get ready to move on

I think Microsoft learnt a lot with the 360 launch. Partly it was too early for the technology, it needed a few more development cycles which would have saved many boys from complaining about their red rings (hence the early start this time as the 360 has around 6 years left as a marketed product and MS have shown that when a new console comes out the old one is dropped rapidly unlike Sony). But also in the Xbox vs Playstation 2 war as one easily by the PS2. Part of this could be down to the PS1 but (as we haven't seen a similar trend with the PS3) its more likely its because the PS2 was first to market,this time the xbox 360 was first to market and is the more dominant console (although could also be argued price point played a part but the xbox launched at a similar price point to the PS3 and sold well, ultimately the Wii kicked both their asses but no-one saw that coming).

Dinky Dragon

This is interesting! Maybe the fabled Next Next Gen console really is in the works!

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
This is interesting! Maybe the fabled Next Next Gen console really is in the works!
Next next gen is a long way off seeing as we are only discussing the next gen

jaykay2

I'm in no hurry for the next-gen. I am still impressed with the graphics on offer this gen, and hope we do not see it end prematurely like last time.

The original xbox still had plenty of life in it when it was killed off.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Next next gen is a long way off seeing as we are only discussing the next gen
Seems we're looking at 2012 for the next generation (if we're assuming the 360 is now current generation, which it is)...

Word is that the next generation was supposed to start next year. However, due to the recession, both Microsoft and Sony has reportedly pushed their plans back to 2012. That would make the Xbox 360 seven years old when its successor arrived, and the PS3 six years old.
Microsoft Reportedly Using ATI GPU For Next Xbox

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Seems we're looking at 2012 for the next generation (if we're assuming the 360 is now current generation, which it is)...

Microsoft Reportedly Using ATI GPU For Next Xbox
I know, i was just being pedantic over the wording

The 360, PS3 and Wii and current gen and so we are discussing the next gen
Not the current gen still being called the next gen and so the next next gen to follow

Im pedantic like that you see :D

S

Simon Coates

Nvidia seem to be moving away from the higher end GPUs and into other processing areas, and that's porbably more so in 2012. Don't think MS have fallen out with them though, as Nvidia supply the Tegra chip for the MS Zune HD. which incidently Nintendo have just signed up to use the same chip on it's next DS.
There's probably more profit in making chips for the increasingly powerful media players, handhelds and phones than for consoles.

Regards,

Simon

Dinky Dragon

I know, i was just being pedantic over the wording

The 360, PS3 and Wii and current gen and so we are discussing the next gen
Not the current gen still being called the next gen and so the next next gen to follow

Im pedantic like that you see :D

You ass lol

Still Love you though!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom