1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI 9600XT DVI-I to SAMSUNG PS-42V4S DVI-I Help!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by nohoper, Jan 10, 2005.

1. nohoper

nohoper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been trying for ages to get ATI 9600XT (GeCube Gamebuster) 128MB to output through the DVI connection and out to my Samsung PS-42V4S 42" Plasma screen.

I have read a lot of stories and tried a lot of things, but I cannot seem to get anything but a big blue screen (This is the standard "I can't find a signal" blue screen produced by the Plasma screen).

I have a PURE/AV DVI Dual Link Cable:

http://catalog.belkin.com/PureAV_detail.process?Merchant_Id=&Product_Id=174162

My Samsung is as follows:

http://www.samsung.co.uk/cgi-bin/ec...V&prodID=PS42V4S/XEU&detailTab=Specifications

The Specifications state the following Resolution 852(H) x 480(V).

I think I have tried this setting in Powerstrip. I set the res, Powerstrip said it had to reboot to test the settings. I rebooted, ripped out the VGA cable mid cycle, leaving just the DVI and zip, nadda, nuffin, zilch, burger all!

I am now desperate and after reading the forums feel even worse seeing all the reply posters stating how theirs worked first time and is brilliant. Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Let's get the obvious out of the way :) .. the DVI output IS enabled in the ATI Control Panel, yes? IOW, in the Displays tab the 'power button' associated with the DVI output is on, ie. not red?

What info does it show about the connected device, ie. does the Control Panel recognise what it is?

How have you configured the monitors, which is primary and secondary? Have you selected Clone Mode for this?

Do you ever see anything, even when booting the PC before Windows starts? Normally one would expect to see the BIOS boot sequence and then the initial Windows even if the ATI panel wasn't configured properly.

3. nohoper

nohoper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi KraGorn,

When I view the "Displays" Tab in the ATI Display Properties, I see Four devices. 2 x Monitor. 1 x FPD and 1 x TV. When the DVI cable and Monitor are plugged in, I am only able to access the Current Monitor. All other devices have the Red Cross through the displayed picture of the cable against the devices listed. Therefore, I have no access what so ever to the DVI properties.

My ATI Card has 1 x CRT, 1 x S-VIDEO & 1 x DVI-I output connections.

I tried last night using the CRT-DVI adapter and output to my Monitor and that works so the DVI-I is functional.

Regarding your other questions, they apply only if I can access the DVI port through the "Displays" tab and i cannot.

I never see any form of recognition on the Plasma screen that it is even working, Not on boot with just DVI connected or when both CRT and DVI are connected.

Anything else you can suggest?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, the red cross seems to be pretty conclusive that the ATI isn't seeing an active connection to the TV and clearly your experiment with the monitor shows that the cable is good and the card works when presented with a good connection.

'Fraid the only conclusion I see is that the plasma's DVI port is not functioning. I've no experience with plasmas at all, is there any chance you have to actually do something in the system menu to activate it?

5. nohoper

nohoper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is something that I have not been able to verify as yet. The manual that came with the plasma clearly shows the use for the DVI socket as the connection between PC and Plasma. The plasma was literally built on order and was only made in September of 2004.

To my knowledge there is nothing special I have to do to active the DVI port. I cycle through my inputs as usual to select the DVI input of plasma. I am already using the Component input for my xbox.

I am tempted to buy one of these DVI-Component adapters. I am presuming that this will activate my YPrPb connection in the "Displays" tab (Not even sure if that will work though) and £40 for something that won't work is my last resort on this.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The panel in the Displays tab will only be enabled when the card detects a connection, if the problem is the DVI connection on the plasma then clearly using a DVI->Component converter should make it happy.

Bear in mind those, if what I've read in the past is correct, the ATI 'dongle' converters have a limited number of fixed resolution and refresh rates they work at, be sure to check this before you go for one .. if I'm wrong then fine. ;)

Have you tried the 'support' services of the plasma manufacturer? I've little experience contacting CE equipment support services.

7. nohoper

nohoper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing is for sure KraGorn. I will not give up. I will have a look at the Samsung website to see if I can submit a support query to them (worth a try I suppose)

I am confident that the Component support is already there. My XBOX is chipped and set to NTSC mode so I am already sending and have seen high definition modes 1080i, 720 etc..

I am almost 100% confident the Component route will be easy.

To Samsung support I go...back soon

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry I couldn't come up with anything .. good luck with Samsung.

9. nohoper

nohoper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok KraGorn. Thanks for trying. I have just submitted a support plea to Samsung. I will see what they can come up with.

10. nohoper

nohoper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK,

Been contacted back by Samsung. The mail basically suggests that I contact them by phone as there may be some alternate measures I can try? Not sure what that means but it's not a snub or dismissal.

If there are any useful tips provided I will pass them on and update this post. Let you know how I get on.

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Please do, I'm intrigued .. and their suggestion to call I think is very encouraging, often with these sorts of support groups talking to the punters is the LAST thing they want to do. :)

12. nohoper

nohoper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. The story so far.

Called Samsung Support. They recommended test the cable. Bought the original cable from PCWorld, so I went there today to ask them to test the DVI cable. They could not offer to test it as they had no equipment. I found another cable (DVD Dual Link Belkin) cable. Came home tried that - no difference.

Called Samsung support, told them the latest and they stated that "DVD Dual Link Cable is different to DVI-D cable".

So I need to get a DVI-D to DVI-D cable. I have found one from pccables.com and going to place an order.

This is becoming annoying. I am even thinking about giving up and getting the DVI -> Component Adapter and going for the component inputs on the TV. I am slightly more confident that it will work with less trouble.

Anyway, going to pursue this to the end.

Update again, when I receive the DVI-D to DVI-D cable.

13. nohoper

nohoper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVI-D to DVI-D cable received. The writing on the cable says "Single Link DVI Cable". This cable is different to previous cables I bought. Other cables said Dual Link.

HOWEVER. Still no freakin picture on the plasma. I have changed the Refresh Rate and Resolution to as follows:

1280x1024@60hz = No output (Nothing, not even a flicker!)
    1280x768@60hz = No output...Grrrrr

The ATI Card does not even acknowledge a connection in the "Displays" TAB.

Am I really Thick or something? What am I missing? Anybody?

14. nohoper

nohoper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK More Information found from the dvigear web site. Excellent Technical PDF document supplied by this site.

I have confirmed now the following:

ATI 9600XT has the DVI-I Connection. This supports both Digital Analogue and Digital Digital Signal.

Samsung Plasma PS-42V4S has the DVI-D Connection.

I have a DVI-D to DVI-D cable....

Still researching...more news to come. The 4 letters EDID sounds interesting...

15. nohoper

nohoper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. I give up. Looking into getting the DVI-I to Component Adapter for the ATI card.

It is a sad evening that I had to resort to this. I will give Samsung one more call to update them, but there not gonna take my plasma away to test the DVI AND charge me for it.

Case closed
    Thanks KraGorn for showing interest