1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI 9250 vs. 9600

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by pj, Oct 26, 2005.

1. pj

pj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    hi dont know if anyone will be able to help but....
    i have an ATI 9600tx 128mb at the moment and have the chance to upgrade it to a ATI 9250 256mb just wondering if thisis a wise move or should i stick with the 9600? the 9250 has more memory but iirc the 9600 has a fan and more power and is higher in the product range (9600 is circa 2002 the 9250 was purchased new yesterday!)

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, the 9600 is the faster card. What will you be using it for? If just standard HTPC stuff then you are unlikely to need the extra 128MB, but the new card will be passivly cooled, quieter and in terms of HTPC perfomance there'll be very little in it.
    If you're gaming then keep the 9600

3. pj

pj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    mainly htpc the 9600 is practically silent as it is so ill probably stick with it then, it just seems a shame to stick a brand new 256mb card in my mums "wordprocessor" if you know what i mean! :devil:

4. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have onboard 9200 and upgraded to a passive 9600. There was no noticale difference in MCE performance. I use mine for games as well, which is where the 9600 wins hands down :smashin:

5. chemicalbrother

chemicalbrother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The ati 9600 its a better card by far, dont let that extra bit of 256mb memory fool you, it proably dosent even get full usage out of that, they allways add more memory to make it look like you get a better deal, i got the same thing happen to me, allways go for a faster card with less memory